mini
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default mini

I am a gunsmith and new to the site. I have always been a fan of the bolt action, but moving to semis. I see a lot of down talk about the mini 14 so i plan to pick one up. The mini is a rugged design and i plan to disprove the AR community. Like a run of the mill AR they take work and time to accurize. I have worked on many ARs and they are all of cheap design. If you can afford to spend a grand on some pot metal and plastic go for it. If you want a semi auto rifle buy a mini and put a little patience into it. Ill try to keep everyone updated. Hunt hard, shoot Straight, kill clean, apologize to no one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2010, 05:56 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

You may want to swing by the introduction thread. Having said that I love my mini. Now however I need to get my AR.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I bought my Mini-14 round about 1995 or so, when the Clinton "assault weapon" ban was pending. I bought a Mini because of price and availability. I have always been pleased with mine, and find that it shoots well. Standing off-hand, I can keep a group well within the center mass of a silhouette target at 100 yds. Prone, a much better group.

Subsequently I obtained a Bush Master XM15 with DPMS match barrel and it shoots no better than my Mini. When taking my Mini to the range, I've suffered the "AR snobs" who bad mouth the Ruger rifle, but in all likelyhood have probably never fired one. Much of the anti Mini -14 rhetoric comes from second and third hand urban legends, gun store ninjas and old wife's tales. As the saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. After a mag or so of "proof" on my target, the snobs usually shut up.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I love my Mini.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #5

Default ar experiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
You may want to swing by the introduction thread. Having said that I love my mini. Now however I need to get my AR.
Not tryin to shy you away from buying an ar, just speaking from experience. I have seen group sizes open up on high end ARs in as little as a 1000 rounds. Fun to shoot suck to clean.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #6

I can kill a man at a long distance with an M-16. I was expert marksman in the Air Force and shot in an international shooting competition while stationed in England. I've said it before on here give me a rifle and I will hit my mark.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Okay. Maybe in El Paso.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #8

Maybe in el paso?

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 AM   #9
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey, smithy...Yours is a noble pursuit! A few of us have learned a few tricks with the Mini's. Keep us advised of your progress and we'll throw you some opinions...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Another big Mini fan jumping in Smithy. Let's see what you end up with.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."