mini 30 Update and optics question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > mini 30 Update and optics question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3120 Times on 1865 Posts
Likes Given: 2157

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
Thanks for the compliment on the rifle. It's a great shooter and super-fun to take out to the farm. I'd love to get a Mini 30 to accompany it someday...

I had this Millet Red Dot for a few minutes before I boxed it up and returned it. Here is my review from Amazon.com explaining why I didn't like it. Others may have a different experience with the Millets and I'm sure they'll chime in as well.

If you want a tube-style red dot and you have the coin, get yourself an UltraDot. I couldn't be happier with mine. It's been on a couple different guns now and I'm still thrilled to pieces every single time I turn it on.
i have a little millet red dot that is actually pretty good, but not that model, it was an sp1.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #12

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i second the redfield. made by leupold in usa, lifetime warranty. very clear scope and fits my mini like a glove!
Keep in mind that the Revolution is made in the US. The Revenge is made in the Philippines. Just FYI...
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Glad that I could offer up some good advice for you. Let me know if you need input on the UltraDot optics. I have the plain Jane 30mm 4 MOA dot and it works like a charm. I have it mounted to my little 10/22. I'd be glad to send you an image of it with the optic mounted to give you an idea of scale. I've had that optic on my 22/45 and my 10/22 and it hasn't faltered, hiccuped or lost zero at all. I've probably got 3,000 rounds under that optic and it turns on just as it did the day I took it out of the box.

As for the rings, you might consider the Warne QD Rings. That's what I'm running on my Mini and they are REALLY nice rings. A little finicky to get installed, but once they're on the optic and gun, the QR levers work well and I can get my optic on and off in no time at all. It should be noted that the little QR levers do interfere with the charging handle on the Mini 14, but moving it back or forward (depending on which lever you're turning) gets it out of the way so the rings can be detached.
the ware QD rings are GREAT! i never thought the levers interfere with the charging handle myself, only a bit during removal and re attachment.

the only prob is they are a bit pricey.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Keep in mind that the Revolution is made in the US. The Revenge is made in the Philippines. Just FYI...
right! the revolution is the way to go! i love mine! for the price, damn hard to beat imo.

oh, and btw...great looking mini!

Old 12-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2288 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

I went with an Amega rail and scout on my 30 but on my AR I went with a Bushnell Trophyy XLT 30mm 1-4x24 4A reticle with an illuminated 1 moa red dot built in. You still have the scope if the battery dies. It gives you both a 1x red dot and up to a 4x in one unit. Ruger will exchange the rings if they have not been used. I shopped around and got mine for $180 delivered. One of the reasons I went scout on the 30 is bolt removal on field strip. The scope has to be removed on a conventional mount to get the bolt out. It really does not throw the balance off and sits very low so cheek padding is not required.

mini-30.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.