Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > mini 30 Update and optics question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default mini 30 Update and optics question

Hey all, been too long, been too busy. Happy holidays -Veteran's Day- Thanksgiving - Pearl Harbor Day- Christmas.

Based on a my original post http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/mini14-upgrade-mini30-57879/ I bought a Ruger mini 30 tactical and 4-20 round Ruger mags, added a recoil buffer based on suggestions here [thanks]. I will take my mfg concerns to the Ruger Forum.

The optics question based on my eyesight, I'm thinking I should go with a 2X7 scope instead of a red dot, is twofold:
Name some scope mfgs. that are quality across all price ranges and have something under 200 bucks.

Then there's this;
Is a pistol scope an option for a 100yd and less shooter mini 30 tac?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf " Navy Seals

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 100 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm is an excellent scope for the Mini. Under $200 with a $30 rebate until the end of the year.

Scout scopes, handgun scopes, etc, are not my cup o' tea. They generally have a more narrow field of view than their traditional counterparts. Additionally, I don't care for the way the balance of the rifle changes with their forward position.

This is really quite a personal opinion and there are many whom prefer and swear by the scout scope set-up. Jeff Cooper is cussing me right now from the beyond...

Last edited by Holmes375; 12-09-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm is an excellent scope for the Mini. Under $200 with a $30 rebate until the end of the year.
Thanks for the tip and the feedback on pistol scopes. I know they have greater eye relief and possibly could work. I need all the eyes on target as possible.

Field of view is paramount along with 'both eyes open' targeting.
Thanks again, still researching

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf " Navy Seals

Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I will second the 2-7 Redfield. I have the Revenge (not the Revolution). I think they're fairly similar, but the Revenge is apparently made (or at least assembled) in the US. I'm REALLY happy with the 2-7 on my new Mini 14 Tactical with the Hogue stock. Here's a photo to let you see what it looks like. It would be similar on your Mini 30, I think.

And here is a writeup about the actual scope that I did earlier this fall: http://www.firearmstalk.com/reviews/revenge-2-7x34-4-plex-rifle-scope.html

Got my scope from Amazon.com for $139. The $30 rebate brings it down to $109. Not bad for this optic and it handles like a dream on my Mini.

Hope this helps you out!

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #5

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

The Redfield scopes are very popular and have great reviews. I bought my Nikon 3x9 on sale for around $100. If you can hold them and check the eye relief with scope picture to make the best choice.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

Thanks for continuing the feedback. I'm going to a gunshow Dec 22-23 to see, fondle and talk rifle scopes for the Mini30. Some of what goes on here will be noted as a reminder to ask good questions at the show.

Anyone with experience on red/green dot such as Millet 3/5/8/10 would be welcomed also. this rig is for defense rather than hunt.

Nice looking rig heymatthew ! I did notice the Revenge model when looking for/at the Revolution.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVet View Post
Thanks for continuing the feedback. I'm going to a gunshow Dec 22-23 to see, fondle and talk rifle scopes for the Mini30. Some of what goes on here will be noted as a reminder to ask good questions at the show.

Anyone with experience on red/green dot such as Millet 3/5/8/10 would be welcomed also. this rig is for defense rather than hunt.

Nice looking rig heymatthew ! I did notice the Revenge model when looking for/at the Revolution.
Thanks for the compliment on the rifle. It's a great shooter and super-fun to take out to the farm. I'd love to get a Mini 30 to accompany it someday...

I had this Millet Red Dot for a few minutes before I boxed it up and returned it. Here is my review from Amazon.com explaining why I didn't like it. Others may have a different experience with the Millets and I'm sure they'll chime in as well.

Quote:
I recently finished a Ruger 10/22 build for plinking at the range. I had a Nikon 3-9 x 40 Rimfire scope on the gun but found myself using it at the 3x end and even then, the magnification was more power than I needed. For most of what I do, I'm under 50 yards so I wanted a red dot. I am currently using an UltraDot 30mm red dot on my Ruger 22/45 and it has worked flawlessly. I don't have the cash to spend on another UltraDot at the moment so I started researching other dots in the sub-$100 range. Millet came up time and time again as a decent performer in this price range.

I ordered it and it was delivered quickly. I was generally impressed when taking it out of the box. The build quality seemed excellent with a good heft and tight fit on the components. I was a little turned off by the screen printing of the logos on the tube. It was a little sloppy and pretty large (not like what is pictured). I can live with that, though. The finish on this sight is a rough-textured matte black finish similar to a parkerized finish on a shotgun (specifically a Remington 1100 with the synthetic stock if you've ever seen or owned one of those). While I wasn't super crazy about the supplied rings, they did tighten down firmly and the fit and finish on them was equally as nice as the sight itself. I didn't like the over-sized thumb screws on the rings for mounting them, but once tightened down, they weren't obtrusive and picking up an alternate set of rings wouldn't be hard to do if you didn't like the ones supplied. One of the best things about the rings is that they are top-bottom split rings, instead of left-right. You can lay the scope in them and its textured surface keeps it where you want it while you drop in the top half of the rings. The included hex key works for the ring screws, but doesn't work to attach the rings to the rail. You need a rather beefy flat screwdriver for the ring bases. It would have been nice if it were a one-tool setup. A small gripe, but worth noting.

My biggest problem came in with the dot itself. Please understand that I am not comparing this to an UltraDot. I paid far more money (more than 3x as much) for my UD, but I expected a better quality optic than what I received. Design quibbles aside, the dot itself just didn't live up to my expectations. A 5 MOA dot is fine for plinking. But a blurry 5 MOA dot is not fine for anything except maybe pointing at charts and graphs in a board room presentation. The dot on this optic was blurry and irregular in shape. The brightness settings left a LOT to be desired. At the highest setting, it was barely usable outside for the brief testing I did in my yard. Inside, I had to have it at 5-7 to even have a usable sight picture. This is unacceptable. I don't want something blinding, but I do want something bright enough to see outside. This isn't it. Finally, and this was the one that did it for me, I had a terrible glare in my optic. When looking through, there were several "tick" marks at about 10 o'clock. A sort of repeated ghost image of the dot. It was distracting and didn't go away with the shade or under different lighting conditions. I could deal with an uneven dot and even a dot that wasn't super bright. For what I paid, I would have been OK with it. But the ghosting and flaring causing the odd reflections were a no-go.

I'd recommend this for a kid's air rifle or something or maybe for a cheap gun that will be used indoors at a range, barring you don't have the ghosting reflections like I had. Otherwise, I'd pass on this one and jump up a price point to something a little nicer.

Lots of reviewers mention they've had their Millets for 5+ years. Perhaps they've switched manufacturers in that time, but this one was not what I expected. A definite fail and one I wouldn't consider unless you absolutely had to or you got a slamming deal on it at a local swap meet.
If you want a tube-style red dot and you have the coin, get yourself an UltraDot. I couldn't be happier with mine. It's been on a couple different guns now and I'm still thrilled to pieces every single time I turn it on.
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #8

Appreciate the write-up on Millet. You made up my mind as I wasn't convinced a 60 buck scope was going to go the distance. I have been looking at Burris and like them and they get good reviews. glad you turned me on to UltraDot. I haven't heard of or found them until your suggestion. can anyone tell that I've never been on scopes? lol. They are definately inside my price range and the 4 MOA and the Lithium 3v CR2032 battery add to the plus side of the consideration.

30mm tube is fine as long as I can get 30mm rings for Ruger.
I found two ways to do that also, one thru a trade up with Ruger, my 1" for their 30mm. The other with Warne Maxima rings

Old 12-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVet View Post
Appreciate the write-up on Millet. You made up my mind as I wasn't convinced a 60 buck scope was going to go the distance. I have been looking at Burris and like them and they get good reviews. glad you turned me on to UltraDot. I haven't heard of or found them until your suggestion. can anyone tell that I've never been on scopes? lol. They are definately inside my price range and the 4 MOA and the Lithium 3v CR2032 battery add to the plus side of the consideration.

30mm tube is fine as long as I can get 30mm rings for Ruger.
I found two ways to do that also, one thru a trade up with Ruger, my 1" for their 30mm. The other with Warne Maxima rings
Glad that I could offer up some good advice for you. Let me know if you need input on the UltraDot optics. I have the plain Jane 30mm 4 MOA dot and it works like a charm. I have it mounted to my little 10/22. I'd be glad to send you an image of it with the optic mounted to give you an idea of scale. I've had that optic on my 22/45 and my 10/22 and it hasn't faltered, hiccuped or lost zero at all. I've probably got 3,000 rounds under that optic and it turns on just as it did the day I took it out of the box.

As for the rings, you might consider the Warne QD Rings. That's what I'm running on my Mini and they are REALLY nice rings. A little finicky to get installed, but once they're on the optic and gun, the QR levers work well and I can get my optic on and off in no time at all. It should be noted that the little QR levers do interfere with the charging handle on the Mini 14, but moving it back or forward (depending on which lever you're turning) gets it out of the way so the rings can be detached.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #10

Liked 2306 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post

Scout scopes, handgun scopes, etc, are not my cup o' tea. They generally have a more narrow field of view than their traditional counterparts. Additionally, I don't care for the way the balance of the rifle changes with their forward position.

This is really quite a personal opinion and there are many whom prefer and swear by the scout scope set-up. Jeff Cooper is cussing me right now from the beyond...
i second (oops third) the redfield. made by leupold in usa, lifetime warranty. very clear scope and fits my mini like a glove!

Last edited by hawkguy; 12-13-2012 at 02:12 AM.