Mini 14 Skeptic - Part 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini 14 Skeptic - Part 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mini 14 Skeptic - Part 2

Traded my VTR .243 and some cash for a Bushmaster AR15. The trade was set up as a trial bases; if you read my first thread, I wanted something in semi-auto with good accuracy, but was didn't want to spend the money for an AR.

I first got the gun last Thursday, knowing our area was expecting a couple inches of snow before the weekend hunt. I got it shooting a group the size of a silver dollar, 3 inches low at 50 yards, but at that time the snow and wind were picking up and it was getting darker. I called it good enough.

This is my second full winter of hunting coyotes, with nothing to show for it. Saturday started with me killing my first coyote at 50 yards on a dead run, old hap for the old-timers, but a big deal for a rookie like myself. The day ended with me taking my fourth coyote with a 250 yard, broadside running shot. Needless to say, I'm keeping the AR15, but would still like to add an accurrized mini to my collection. Just thought I'd share the adventure.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't understand the Mini 14 skeptic title. Your first post is about hunting and shooting coyotes with an AR.

Admittedly, I like Mini's. My suggestion is to either sell the one you have or quit pissing and moaning about their accuracy.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

CA I love the both barrells approach.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I don't understand the Mini 14 skeptic title. Your first post is about hunting and shooting coyotes with an AR.

Admittedly, I like Mini's. My suggestion is to either sell the one you have or quit pissing and moaning about their accuracy.
Notice it says part 2 in the title. That means there was a part 1. I did sell my mini because of the accuracy was so bad, I asked some questions about how to make them better in my original post; in the meantime I took an AR hunting and loved it.

Luke 22:36 - He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I read the original thread. However, I must have missed that you sold it. The 580 series rifles are definitely more accurate than the older models. Anyway, the Mini can be accurized, but it will never be as accurate as an AR. It may be quite accurate, but it's still a Mini with all the good and the bad traits that make it what it is.

The Mini was and in many cases is a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. That's the secret. It will shoot minute of varmint all day long, but to ask more of it just seems unreasonable. It was never designed to be a tack driver. It was designed to be a fast handling carbine.

I've never fired a Target model, but I must assume it's somehow more accurate. Maybe pick up a Target model, throw a Mo-Rod on there and call it good.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

Hi Boggy! Sounds like you had a Very Good day! Glad to hear your AR done the job. Keep up the good work! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #7

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Should of kept the Mini as a second coyote getter. The Mini-14 is a fully capable MOA carbine (scoped) with a little work and the right loads. It just takes a little time and the right combination. You will, at times, find a Mini that will refuse to shoot well regardless of what you do to it. I have only found one to be that way in the last 35 years.

Jim........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 03-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
...would still like to add an accurrized mini to my collection.
What is holding you back Boogy? Go get one & commence to accurizin' man...you're wasting valuable time...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
What is holding you back Boogy? Go get one & commence to accurizin' man...you're wasting valuable time...
Sadly, it's the money I spent on the AR I'll probably get one this summer some time, give me time to get some work done on it before winter of next winter.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Should of kept the Mini as a second coyote getter. The Mini-14 is a fully capable MOA carbine (scoped) with a little work and the right loads. It just takes a little time and the right combination. You will, at times, find a Mini that will refuse to shoot well regardless of what you do to it. I have only found one to be that way in the last 35 years.

Jim........
+1 - I totally agree - I have a scoped Ranch Rifle (Late 80's vintage) No Mods - just stock, shot several Pig's and Coyotes over the years. I can't do a 2 inch circle @ 100, but I can easily get a 5" circle at that range.