Mini 14 skeptic... - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini 14 skeptic...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

@kenhesr
Now that sounds like a damn good time!

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMO View Post
Maybe it's legal if the hunter is driving/hunting only at night with a spotlight on the truck, and a six-pack on the front seat?
You almost got it right, at least one can of beer must be open and in the hunters hand, the rifle in the other, while driving the the truck.
Shooting through an open window is prefered, but not manditory.

John K

Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #33

Liked 113 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Ok, I came here to find a decent gun forum not to get in the middle of something, but when I left Milton, IA. for the last time in 1978 they were hunting yotes exactly the way Boggy 5 describes it minus the C.C. permit which was way different back then. And we do it the same way in N.E. Arkansas right now. Having moved here from the Peoples Republic of WI. I can understand your disbelief but it is what it is.

As far as a mini for hunting, if you can find a 580 tapered barrel made in 2009 or before it would be worth a shot (pun intended) the old pencil barrels string and the newest ones have too many Q.C. issues for my taste. BTW John K, glad to see you again.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #34

Test test test

Old 02-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #35

Iowa Law

New legislation was put into play on January 1 2011. This legislation was passed last year under the Governorship of Chet Culver.

This new law completely changes both how the old Concealed Carry permits were administered and the carry laws themselves were also altered in favor of the coyote hunters.

Under the new law the title "Non- Professional Concealed Carry Permit" went away and it is now called the"Non-Professional Permit to Carry Weapons". It is what it says it is. Long guns can now be carried in vehicles uncased and loaded if you are a permit holder. The new law and the way it's defined makes Iowa gun laws alot the same as they are in the Dakotas. Iowa also now honors carry permits from all other states.

The new permit requires a 4 hour state mandated class followed by a background check, followed by the applicant submitting $50 of his hard earned money to the sheriff. In return you get a permit that is good for 5 years if you keep your nose clean.

As far as the coyote hunting in Iowa goes....I've been doing it for 34 years. We have a group of 10 guys/trucks that all have FM radios mounted in the truck. On any given weekend day you can expect 5 or 6 of the gang to be out chasing coyotes. The two eldest member in our group are 73 and 62 respectively and they have both killed over 500 coyotes each and are still going strong. We have had to lay members of our group to rest as in nobody lives forever. We have welcomed some new young guys to the group. These are guys that know their place and and play by the rules.

In the late 1980's we killed 135 critters and never got more than 20 miles from home in doing so.

In the 34 years that I have been at this our group has never experienced a firearm accident of any kind. We have not had any vehicle related injuries either. There have been lots of times where we get stuck in snow drifts and have maybe even pulled a bumper or two off getting out of the bad ones.

Only twice in 34 years has anyone in our group been cited for a violation. Both happened on the same day. Two guys got stopped and had loaded magazines for their new AR15s and even though the magazine wasn't in the gun the law(back then) prohibited it. Ignorance of the law is no excuse so they paid their fines changed their ways and went on hunting.

I personally have only been pulled over one time while chasing coyotes and that was last saturday. My rifle was loaded and laying in the passenger seat. The Sheriff asked to see the usual paperwork along with my carry permit. Then after examining it told me to get my license plate issue resloved(one fell off, 2 are required....snowbanks somewhere) then wished me good luck with the coyote killing and we parted ways.

I can't speak for every coyote chasing crew in this state but the ones I do know about are very welcomed by the farmers. Coyotes in this state have desimated the small game numbers, farm cats are almost a thing of the past and coyote/ livestock incidents are on the increase. We get calls all of the time from farmers asking us to help them with their coyote problems.

Coyotes are considered a predator. No fur harvester permits are needed. There is no bag limit and the season on them runs non stop. Iowans feel about coyotes the same as Comifornians do about mice in their houses. Get rid of them by any legal means possible....and we do!

Who ever took it upon them selves to throw in the bit about the spotlights and beer....ignorant!!!

As for Mona at the DNR office! She is clueless. The DNR has fought the new legislation to the enth degree and they are the last to inform their own people. The instructors of the 4 hour class are told to tell the participants that not all DNR game wardens are buying into the new law and some may write a citation anyway. In the words of one state legislator "the DNR does not make the laws in this state but they are expected to uphold them and enforce them as they are written". We have been told that if we are issued a citation aimed at the new carry law, to just accept it be polite and appear in court and the judge will throw it out and the warden that wrote the citation will be admonished. Mona needs to take the 4 hour course...or keep her yap shut!

I not only took the 4 hour hour course but am certified to teach it so these facts are correct!

Did some one say they contacted the Iowa Fish and Game concerning this? Bat pucky, in Iowa it's the Department of Natural Resources. There might be some club called the Fish and game club but they have no responsibility in writing laws or carrying them out....nice try though!

Hey boggy5, are you the NWC graduate that went pound for pound with Reggie Bush in the weight lifting at the NFL combine a few years ago?

Last edited by 135coyotes; 02-14-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #36

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I lifted more than he did, but in any department that had to do with speed it wasn't even close....like a ferrari compared to a conversion van

Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #37

Lightbulb

Have you guys watched the Youtube videos where guys receive permission from the Texas department and hunt feral pigs from Robinson helicopters with ARs?
Use Google: "Feral pig helicopter" etc.

Those pigs destroy about $20,000,000 in crops each year, directly and indirectly, and this only describes damage in Texas. This does not even address yards and irrigation systems torn up in Dallas suburbs, or in other states.

Texas considers such 'swine zapping' from small 'attack helicopters' ethical. Those poor, defenseless creatures.

Last edited by Laufer; 02-22-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That sounds like a fun time as well! The do-gooders may say it's not hunting, but I say it's as much hunting as is shooting elk from 700 - 1000 yards away; where you have just as much chance of leaving an elk with a sore ass as you do killing it. It's still hunting, and I won't try and convince people not to do it, but it's not how I would prefer to hunt.