Mini 14 skeptic... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini 14 skeptic...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Back on the subject:

If you want a Mini-14 to shoot consistent 2" groups at 100 yards with no stringing get a Mo-Rod, Accu-Strut or Har-Bar and a muzzle break and install them on it. That fixed all my problems.

Additionally, Ruger has changed the barrel twist rate 3 or 4 times and depending on what twist you have will determine what bullets shoot best in your rifle. My older 183-Series with a 1:10 twist likes the 55 & 62 grain bullets. You need something faster like a 1:7 or 1:8 twist in a .223 Rem. rifle if you are going to stabilize bullets in the 75 grain weight.

Here's mine, I can't complain about it because it has never jammed and will eat any brand of ammo I decide to feed it as long as I stay with the light bullets. Plenty accuarate for my needs.

Click on the itty-bitty thumbnail for a normal size picture:

mini-14_01.jpg

Now, here's a story that'll freak the many do-gooders out. When I was assigned to an aviation unit at Ft. Riley, Kansas we used to go out fly down the ravines and gullies with our Cobras and chase 'yotes with them for miles. We'd have four or five of them running for their life at a time, just like hearding cattle. We never hurt any of them, but we gave them a serious workout. It honed our flying skills too!

Last edited by Snakedriver; 02-10-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Well I stand corrected

here is the reply I got back from Iowa DNR.

Paul; a licensed Iowa hunter can legally hunt coyotes from a vehicle only on private land, and land which the hunter has permission to hunt and drive a vehicle on. They cannot hunt this way on public land or on public roadways.

While this style/method of hunting coyotes is legal..our department does not recommend or encourage its practice due to the fact that it is a very unsafe method of hunting. Anytime you are riding in a vehicle and operating “off-road” with loaded firearms in the vehicle you increase the risk for an accidental firearm discharge resulting in personal injury or death. Also, some insurance carriers will not cover personal injury accidents or property damage claims if they occur under these types of circumstances..due to the risk factor.

Be safe out there.

Steve Dermand

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #23

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggy5 View Post
I read all of those, I was curious what the cost of accurizing one. If I'm understanding it correctly, each mini responds to the different accurizing attempts differently. Which one would you start with? And what's the approximate cost?
Most all the work you can do yourself and the only cost will be whatever you spend on parts, such as a Mo-Rod, muzzle brake, gas port bushings, etc.
First place to start would be to find the ammo it prefers. Second would be to R&R the gas block, properly tighten the gas block screws, usually 35 inch pounds. You must have an even gap between the two halves when done. I have reduced groups by more than half on some Minis with the gas block alone. Third, install a barrel stabilizer such as the Mo-Rod or others. Forth, install a muzzle brake (not a flash suppressor). You might consider the one that KMO is manufacturing, it looks to be a good one. I have been watching it's developement from the start. If you are using a scope, then I don't need to get on the subject of better sights. If your action does not fit snugly in the stock, then you might consider bedding or shimming to tighten it up. You might also consider a trigger job. It won't make it shoot more accurate, but, it will make it easer to shoot more accuratly.
If your Mini sends spent brass into the next county, you migh also consider reduced sized gas port bushings when you do your gas block. A set of three gas port bushings, .060",.050" and .040" will run you $25 shipped. Also check the muzzle crown, any irregularities, nicks or burrs, have it re-crowned if needed, usually $40 to $80.

Remember, only do one change at a time, then target it for group. If you follow these procedures, I can guarentee that you will have an accurate and consistant shooting Mini.

If you have any further in depth questions or concerns about doing any of the above work, shoot me a PM for my phone number.

Jim.................

Last edited by masterPsmith; 02-11-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you masterPsmith. I will give this a try. Hopefully it will give me a better chance of hitting a coyote while I'm legally driving my truck on someone's property, dangerously chasing it down, and hopping out hoping to shoot it on the run

I got the same exact e-mail from Steve Dermand. While I appreciate his concern for my insurance cost, I assure you the people that use the word dangerous have never done it. After all, would a policeman patrolling consider the driving part of his job dangerous just because he's got loaded weapons in the car? It's not any more dangerous than deer hunters who party hunt with shotguns, encircle a section and start blasting away. "Off Road" = cornfields and beanfields. Anyone ever been to Iowa, the cornfields and beanfields are flatter and smoother than the gravel roads.

So to those who offered good advice about my mini, thank you. Those who used it as a platform to single out someone in efforts to make fun of them or make them seem like an irresponsible poacher...I really wish we were face to face so you could see what I'm doing with my finger.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
I got the same exact e-mail from Steve Dermand. While I appreciate his concern for my insurance cost, I assure you the people that use the word dangerous have never done it. After all, would a policeman patrolling consider the driving part of his job dangerous just because he's got loaded weapons in the car? It's not any more dangerous than deer hunters who party hunt with shotguns, encircle a section and start blasting away. "Off Road" = cornfields and beanfields. Anyone ever been to Iowa, the cornfields and beanfields are flatter and smoother than the gravel roads.
I'm not going to be judgmental regarding how you hunt coyote. It seems settled that it is legal. Coyotes are incredibly destructive, so I say do what you feel comfortable doing legally, and be as safe as you can be in doing it.

I am going to comment about the comparison to the police driving with loaded weapons. Typically, a police officer carries his sidearm secured in his holster, where it will be retained during any type of hazardous or high speed driving. If the officer has a shotgun mount, the shotgun is likewise retained. I don't know how coyote hunters secure their firearms, but I have a difficult time picturing them being secured as police do if their goal is a quick stop and a fast shot.

As for the cornfields and beanfields, I am from southwest Ohio, where we have our share of corn and bean fields. I have driven through a few. If yours are smoother than your gravel roads, then either your engineers need to learn how to grade a road or our farmers are doing something horribly wrong!

At any rate, good luck with the Mini, I hope you are dropping coyotes soon, with confidence. I need to get out and do some shooting with mine and decide how I want to proceed with it.

Oh, and welcome to the firearmstalk forum and the Mini-14 forum!

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Doc. I can't speak for all the guys in my group, but I actually carry my Glock 17 in Sportsman's Corner holster with a grip strap; and I have a mount specially made for my rifle so that it's secure while driving, but easy to get out of the truck. We here in Iowa are no dummies. And yes, to both comments about our cornfields. Our gravel roads do suck, and your farmers must be doing something wrong

Old 02-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I really wish we were face to face so you could see what I'm doing with my finger.
Oh thats mature!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Oh thats mature!
Eh, it's better than calling someone out or making threats. At least he seems to show a bit of a sense of humor about it!

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:38 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-BOLT View Post
Kansas also allows yote hunting from a motorized vehicle, though not legal to use a spotlight at night calling predators (dumb). I am not a fan of using vehicles, but many cattelman welcome that type of hunting on their ground so they do not lose their calf crop - I understand. I'll place my dollar on Boggy. I bet he is right. It is necessary where you need to protect your livestock from harm.
Yep, completely true. I just looked it up for myself to be sure on our Kansas Dept of Wildlife and Fishing. It grants amnesty specifically to Coyote hunters:
ILLEGAL PURSUIT

No game or furbearer may be shot at, killed, or pursued from aircraft, motor car, motor boat, or other vehicle. (Exceptions include hunting with a Disability permit, hunting waterfowl from a stationary boat, and hunting coyotes.)

Anyway, I would say that not hunting with a Mini-14 is probably a good idea. I have the Target model and it is a MUCH more accurate rifle than my Mini-30 ever was. Unfortunately, it is also a more expensive rifle. More expensive than many off the shelf AR15's. I ended up building my AR15 with a Match upper made by Yankee Hill and I have to say it is a better shooter for less $ than even my Target model Mini ANY day. It was probably about the same price though... This is a tuff one. Have you considered an SKS or an M1 Garand? My best recommendation: A used M1A that's been bedded (A Mini 14's big brother) with a 5rd mag. New ones tend to be pricey though...

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:46 AM   #30

Hi Boggy, I gotta say I like my Mini-14 (Liberty Mod. 1976 mfg) but I prefer my 20" AR with a 4x12 scope & 20 rd mag for yotes. From what I see it wouldn't be that much more money than a mini, JMHO. I guess its all in what you are accustomed to.

I see you are down in Grinnell, we hunt them a little different up here in Benton County, not much but a little.

This time of year we use three or more trucks with one shooter in the back of each. Chase e'm down, stop quick and let the shooter do his thing from the box of the truck. Not very sporting but it is effective and that is sort of the idea of the whole thing. Really its not that bad, a good truck works pretty nice for yotes where we hunt and it sure beats freezing off the important parts. Besides its all a tax write off anyway.

We hunt only on private land, (ours & neighbors) just a bunch of old farmers tearing around the fields shoot'in varmints, probably looks even funnier than it sounds!

For the past 25 years or so we have had a real problem with feral dogs & cats. We are 1/2 way between CR & Waterloo and some town folk drop off their no longer wanted pets out here. I've seen packs with 20 wild dogs and they are not afraid of you, they will take you on! When we yote hunt we try to thin out the dog packs too.

One of our group farms west of Manchester and between the yotes, coons and eagles his pheasant population is down to zilch. Now don't anyone think I'm talk'in about shoot'in eagles, we all know better than that! But if you've ever had eagles living on your place and you hunt pheasants, it ain't good.

We always follow our truck hunt'in with a poker game and a few adult beverages, makes for a GOOD day! I must also say that in all the years we've been doing this, I've never even seen a DNR officer out there, private land must be the reason. They have enough public land to take care of!

Anyhow, welcome! Good to have another Iowan on the forum. Sorry I got off topic but I see some others did too!! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"