Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini 14 skeptic...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Kansas also allows yote hunting from a motorized vehicle, though not legal to use a spotlight at night calling predators (dumb). I am not a fan of using vehicles, but many cattelman welcome that type of hunting on their ground so they do not lose their calf crop - I understand. I'll place my dollar on Boggy. I bet he is right. It is necessary where you need to protect your livestock from harm.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

1.) Because the restriction is on ATV's
2.) Coyote is not considered a "game" animal

It's not illegal. I will call myself a hunter also. I've spent 14 years bow hunting every weekend the season is open. I hunt squirrels during the season, and call coyotes in the spring, summer and fall. In the cold weather we prefer to stay in the vehicle as much as possible.

So other than one guy, am I not going to get an answer on the mini 14? I was looking in to the products by Mo-Rod until he ran off at the mouth. I would rather talk guns, but if need be I'll keep providing proof that what we do is 100% legal.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have sent an email to the Iowa DNR, will reply asap.

Oh, and for what its worth, I do apologize for "hi-jacking" your mini 14 thread.

Please let the mini 14 discussion continue, when I receive an answer I will create a new thread.

My apologies for disrupting the flow ya'll.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Last edited by amoroque; 02-10-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just sent an e-mail to two different DNR regulations officers. I instantly got a message that told me to allow for 3-5 business days for a response. We'll see what happens.

I will say the debate on whether a loaded gun is allowed in a vehicle is very heated in Iowa. The DNR are sticking to their rules say it's illegal, state law says that with the new concealed weapons permit you can have one loaded. Some DNR officers will write you up and make you go to court to get the fine thrown out, which it will everytime, the DNR can't trump state laws. But most DNR around here save you the hastle and just check licenses and send you on your way.

Last edited by Boggy5; 02-10-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #15

Default Mini 14 accuracy

You are correct that standard mini 14's have less than stellar accuracy. If you can hit a steel target with more than 10 rounds out of a 20 round magazine at 100 yards, you have an exceptional mini 14. I have heard that the newer target mini's solve that problem, but I have no experience with them.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #16

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Boggy5,
All you have to do is read the stickys on accurizing the Mini-14. Then if you have any further questions, ask away..

Jim................

Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I read all of those, I was curious what the cost of accurizing one. If I'm understanding it correctly, each mini responds to the different accurizing attempts differently. Which one would you start with? And what's the approximate cost?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #18

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The document linked below is the one I'm assuming folks are cutting and pasting from:
http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/huntingregs.pdf

This document pretty clearly states that you can hunt coyote on a standard hunting license, with no time-of-day restrictions, nor bag limits.
The document also states that "motor vehicles" are not allowed in game areas, and defines "motor vehicles" as "any self-propelled vehicle having at least three wheels and which must be registered as a motor vehicle under Iowa Code Chapter 321."
The document then goes on to define two-way transmitters, and states that coyote hunters may use such devices, but NOT during deer hunting seasons.
The document states that you cannot transport a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle on a public highway unless it is broken down, or secured in a case. However, once you leave the "public highway", my guess is as good as yours.
The document also states the restrictions on ATVs, which Boggy listed. You do have to note that ATVs are not the same as "trucks". Also, that section is preceded by the statement:
"“Prohibited acts.” Except as provided, the
use of a motor vehicle on any game management
area by a person without a valid permit, or at any
site not approved on a signed map, is prohibited.
Permits and maps must be carried by the permittee
at all times that the permittee is using a motor
vehicle on a game management area, and must be
exhibited to any DNR employee or law enforcement
official upon request." (p16)

You're not even allowed to DRIVE a truck in a game management area, let alone shoot a weapon out of one. Of course, that restriction is based on the "game management area." Also, the permit referred to in the quote is for folks with movement-based disabilities or physical handicaps. Such a permit only allows the use of the ATV for movement, and doesn't allow said individual to fire a weapon from one.
Laws about firearms discharge are going to cover how and why you can fire a firearm out of a moving vehicle.

As for coyote not being a "game animal"...incorrect. Coyote are classified by the document as both "furbearers" and "small game." You still need a permit to hunt them, and must still abide by the rules for your hunting permit.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This document pretty clearly states that you can hunt coyote on a standard hunting license, with no time-of-day restrictions, nor bag limits.
The document also states that "motor vehicles" are not allowed in game areas, and defines "motor vehicles" as "any self-propelled vehicle having at least three wheels and which must be registered as a motor vehicle under Iowa Code Chapter 321."
"“Prohibited acts.” Except as provided, the
use of a motor vehicle on any game management
area by a person without a valid permit, or at any
site not approved on a signed map, is prohibited.
Permits and maps must be carried by the permittee
at all times that the permittee is using a motor
vehicle on a game management area, and must be
exhibited to any DNR employee or law enforcement
official upon request." (p16)

You're not even allowed to DRIVE a truck in a game management area, let alone shoot a weapon out of one. Of course, that restriction is based on the "game management area." Also, the permit referred to in the quote is for folks with movement-based disabilities or physical handicaps. Such a permit only allows the use of the ATV for movement, and doesn't allow said individual to fire a weapon from one.
Laws about firearms discharge are going to cover how and why you can fire a firearm out of a moving vehicle.

As for coyote not being a "game animal"...incorrect. Coyote are classified by the document as both "furbearers" and "small game." You still need a permit to hunt them, and must still abide by the rules for your hunting permit.[/QUOTE]

Holy Cow people! I live here. Game Management Area refers to a public hunting land. A farmer's field is not Game Management. You DO NOT need a permit to hunt coyotes, you only need a standard hunting license, which also means you can hunt them without a furbearers license. You only need that if you are trapping them. I never said we shoot from the trucks, that was interpreted incorrectly. We get out to shoot. We also do all our shooting in the fields because you can't shoot from the road or across the road. We get stopped every year and never have gotten a citation.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #20

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggy5 View Post
Holy Cow people! I live here. Game Management Area refers to a public hunting land. A farmer's field is not Game Management. You DO NOT need a permit to hunt coyotes, you only need a standard hunting license, which also means you can hunt them without a furbearers license. You only need that if you are trapping them. I never said we shoot from the trucks, that was interpreted incorrectly. We get out to shoot. We also do all our shooting in the fields because you can't shoot from the road or across the road. We get stopped every year and never have gotten a citation.
lol, that changes everything! I think everyone interpreted your initial statement as a bunch of folks standing in the back of a pickup with guns ablaze as it tore around at 40mph.

My bad!