mini 14... should i or should i not? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > mini 14... should i or should i not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2846 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Which Mini-Gun you choose, depends mainly, on what you want out of the rifle.

If you want a varmint gun, a personal defense firearm around the house and maybe a rifle that can be used in a FIT-HIT-THE-SHAN situation, the Mini-14 will work in that scenario. Notice I didn't say it was better than the Mini-30, I just said it would work in that scenario, but not work the best.

If you do handload your ammunition, and If a handloader chooses a good selection of handloadable bullets, to match the scenario, the Mini-14 could work very well and extend the Mini-14's usefulness by much more.

For the Mini-14 the 69 gr bullets with sufficient loading (experimentation) work, may be one of the better bullets to use, to make the Mini-14 a better hunting rifle, for game up to deer size. If you do your part in bullet placement.

If you are looking for a light hunting rifle and a more serious defensive rifle, the Mini-30 is more adaptable for this scenario than the Mini-14.

For a Mini-30 with the .311 bore diameter barrel, I would choose bullets in the 123-126 weight range because they are just about all of the practical bullet weights available, in the .311 diameter, to load in 7.62X39 brass.

And again, spend range time experimenting with primers, powders and seating depths

If I were to rebarrel a Mini-30, I would rebarrel it with a barrel that had a .308 bore diameter, with a 1:9 twist rate barrel. Why? Because there is a greater selection of bullet weights for the .308 bore diameter.

In order to wring the most out of the Mini-guns, a shooter will just about have to get into handloading for his rifles.

However, you still need to become a real rifleman though. Don't fool, or delude yourself, every rifle owner owes it to himself, and his family, to become the very best rifleman he can.

Just banging away from the shooting bench, or the hood of a car, won't make a shooter into a rifleman. It takes training and practice. What are you going to do, if there isn't a bench to shoot from?

You will need to know how to properly use a sling.

Here is a good place to learn riflery for new shooters, and long time shooters:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php

How well you do, depends on you, and you only...! How good do you want to be?

Bill
hey bill. we have an appleseed that runs regularly near me. i really want to participate, but the only thing making me hesitate is the $$COST$$ of ammo for the event. if i buy a MINIMUM of 500 rounds or a suggested 750-1000, i am out $200-350+ in ammo....ouch....that is a new gun

can you mix it up with different guns at these events? i thought perhaps for the amount of ammo they want you to use, i could just purchase a 10/22 and and bring 1000 rounds of .22 at a cost of about $40 for ammo, then maybe mix in some practice with my other guns. never been to one, so i didn't know if this was acceptable.

anyway, good advice, and i think i'll likely be participating in an appleseed before too long.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hawk;
I have seen some people, mainly women shooting the 10/22.

Here is the place to ask though...:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/

This is the appleseed forum.

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
hey bill. we have an appleseed that runs regularly near me. i really want to participate, but the only thing making me hesitate is the $$COST$$ of ammo for the event. if i buy a MINIMUM of 500 rounds or a suggested 750-1000, i am out $200-350+ in ammo....ouch....that is a new gun

can you mix it up with different guns at these events? i thought perhaps for the amount of ammo they want you to use, i could just purchase a 10/22 and and bring 1000 rounds of .22 at a cost of about $40 for ammo, then maybe mix in some practice with my other guns. never been to one, so i didn't know if this was acceptable.

anyway, good advice, and i think i'll likely be participating in an appleseed before too long.
Hawk;
You really need to get into handloading.

I've never heard of a Texan that didn't handload... You're not an east coast immigrant are you?

Bill

Last edited by Stillwater; 04-03-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #24

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
but it has been a desire of mine to learn the great skill of ammunition production
It opens a whole new dimension to shooting. You learn so much more by making your own ammunition. And afterward you will understand far more about guns and ballistics. For me it is what drives me further into the sport. Especially on the days when it's too hot, windy, or wet to shoot. I always seem to have empty brass on hand that needs reloading.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Hawk;
You really need to get into handloading.

I've never heard of a Texan that didn't handload... You're not an east coast immigrant are you?

Bill
alright, listen here ya california hippie! if you make fun of my firearms experience, i'll give you a pass, but challenge my "texan status" again and i'll have to set you straight again, like i did back at the "6" i am texas born & bred, sunshine.

to set the record straight, i have an oil rig surrounded by longhorns in my back yard.

i would love to give hand loading a try, but it is pretty much impossible for me right now.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
alright, listen here ya california hippie! if you make fun of my firearms experience, i'll give you a pass, but challenge my "texan status" again and i'll have to set you straight again, like i did back at the "6" i am texas born & bred, sunshine.

to set the record straight, i have an oil rig surrounded by longhorns in my back yard.

i would love to give hand loading a try, but it is pretty much impossible for me right now.
Hawk, funny, funny post...

However, you forgot to capitalize the word Texas. That makes serious people wonder outloud...!

Bill

Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Hawk, funny, funny post...

However, you forgot to capitalize the word Texas. That makes serious people wonder outloud...!

Bill
hah! nice try, sunshine. i am such a true texan, that i don't have to capitalize it! in fact, after rick perry shot my dog on a jogging trail, i have been given official permission to "mess with texas."

did i tell you my local gun store has a giant foam cowboy hat on top?

i can't believe you started this again! bad stillwater!

Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
hah! nice try, sunshine. i am such a true texan, that i don't have to capitalize it! in fact, after rick perry shot my dog on a jogging trail, i have been given official permission to "mess with texas."

did i tell you my local gun store has a giant foam cowboy hat on top?

i can't believe you started this again! bad stillwater!
Me? Start something? Surely you jest...!

That foam cowboy hat sounds like it came from San Francisco...!

Bill - From Montana...!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

billt.... i have never heard of too wet to shoot!!! but i understand what your sayin. i need me a hobbie to turn to and be able to releive stress with or just unwind with at the end of the day.

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #30

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
billt.... i have never heard of too wet to shoot!!! but i understand what your sayin. i need me a hobbie to turn to and be able to releive stress with or just unwind with at the end of the day.
Believe me, it doesn't happen very often here in Arizona.