mini 14... should i or should i not?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > mini 14... should i or should i not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default mini 14... should i or should i not?

im thinkin bout buyin a mini 14. he thig is im not sure how accurate they are and have heard that they arent all that acurate. so my ? is whats the best groups you fine mini 14 wners have had at 50 yrds?

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #2

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

The mini is a not a long range weapon, unlike the M1A it imitates. However it is a reliable carbine with a box mag, and the new ones will shoot 2 MOA groups all day long, a bit better cold bore. To me, they sell for more than they're worth, but not that much more. I'd rather have the M1A for $300-$400 more. Or the M1 Carbine for that matter.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 03-26-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1332 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2805

Do a search on here for mini accuracy and you will see that they've really improved. I'm still tinkering with my ranch model, but right now it will do 1 inch groups at 100 yards all day long with a cool barrel and decent ammo. And it has functioned flawlessly. I would recommend the mini to anyone wanting a good reliable semiauto carbine.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #4

Liked 3058 Times on 1823 Posts
Likes Given: 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
im thinkin bout buyin a mini 14. he thig is im not sure how accurate they are and have heard that they arent all that acurate. so my ? is whats the best groups you fine mini 14 wners have had at 50 yrds?
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/ruger-mini-14-accuracy-good-enough-52094/

above is a post i made regarding untruths about mini accuracy (from my experience of course).

i'd say mine shoots around 1" at 50 yards. i have torn a few ragged holes at 50 with mine. but i have put a bit of work into it. i shoot 1.5 " at 100 yards when i'm really on. but normal is probably about 2" or so at 100 yards.

i can pop beer cans or apples consistantly at 100 yards.

mini 14 practical accuracy? plenty good! is it gonna win you any bench competitions? not likely.

the mini overall is a great gun from my experiences.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It is my opinion that the Ruger Mini-Guns are more accurate than those who own and shoot them... That ought to stir some people up...!

I was at a shooting range last week. The guy setting next to me was loudly complaining about the accuracy of his Mini-14. He was so whiney, that he started to irritate me.

A break in the shooting was to be called, soon, and I asked him to get another set of targets. I had watched the way he was shooting, and he was terrible.

I asked him to set the targets up at 25 yards. He did and I then asked him to shoot me a three shot group. His group was way off to the right and about four inches in diameter.

I showed him how to adjust the scope sights to center the group. His group was still four inches or worse, but now it was centered.

I then showed him how to properly set at a bench, and how to shoot from the bench, by holding his rifle securely, and steadily.

I had him shoot another group, and wonder of wonders his 25 yard group was now around two inches in diameter. I then showed the guy how to squeeze and not jerk the trigger, or flinch, while holding the rifle steadily.

This time, to his surprise, his group dropped to just over one inch on the 25 yard target. Same shooter, same rifle and same CHEAP JUNKY ammo he was shooting.

There came another break and I had him move his target to fifty yards. Before I let him shoot, we went over what I had taught him, just to reinstill the lessons he had learned. Only this time, I loaded five rounds of my ammo into his magazine.

At fifty yards, his rifle shot a nicely centered, round, five shot group, that was about an inch in diameter. That would be a two inch group at 100 yards.

The guy effusively thanked me, for what I had taught him. I now have a new friend, and he likes his Mini-14 just fine. Why, because he knows the problem was his inexperience, and not the Mini's problem, that caused the big group size.

I didn't talk down to him and tell him his huge groups were his fault, because he was a crappy shooter. I worked with him to give him some lessons and experience he can build on.

Hey, young shooters should hang out with old shooters because old guys know stuff...!

I think the majority of the complaints about the Mini-Guns inaccuracy, stems from shooter inexperience, and CRAPPY, CHEAP, JUNK ammo.

Every body ought to go to Project Appleseed and learn how to become a rifleman, regardless of their previous experience.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Bill

Last edited by Stillwater; 03-27-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the info!..... lets keep the info comming every one. im really lookin forward to buyin a mini, and in all honesty ive been wanting one for many years just havent had the cash to purchase one. but since ill be havin some extra cheddar from taxes m goin to get me one since im a little too poor to start my ar 15 project . also ive been lookin around and am really interested in their tactical mini 14 but its a bit expensive but i found that advanced tech. has a stock for a lil more than 200 bucks! so i am goin to buy me a mini and a stock and just do my own fae lift and save myself about 200 dollars!!!! i am very very excited

Wars begin where u will

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
thanks for the info!..... lets keep the info comming every one. im really lookin forward to buyin a mini, and in all honesty ive been wanting one for many years just havent had the cash to purchase one. but since ill be havin some extra cheddar from taxes m goin to get me one since im a little too poor to start my ar 15 project . also ive been lookin around and am really interested in their tactical mini 14 but its a bit expensive but i found that advanced tech. has a stock for a lil more than 200 bucks! so i am goin to buy me a mini and a stock and just do my own fae lift and save myself about 200 dollars!!!! i am very very excited
Before you buy a different stock for the Mini-Gun. Shoot your Mini-Gun for a while, breaking it in. Shoot at least a couple of hundred rounds through it. Then peruse the Mini-Gun sections of several forums and ask about the stock you are interested in.

There are some replacement stocks out there for the Mini-Guns, that aren't of the best design and quality.

There are good reasons why some of the Mini-Gun replacement stocks are cheap, and others aren't.

Bill

Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1332 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
It is my opinion that the Ruger Mini-Guns are more accurate than those who own and shoot them... That ought to stir some people up...!

I was at a shooting range last week. The guy setting next to me was loudly complaining about the accuracy of his Mini-14. He was so whiney, that he started to irritate me.

A break in the shooting was to be called, soon, and I asked him to get another set of targets. I had watched the way he was shooting, and he was terrible.

I asked him to set the targets up at 25 yards. He did and I then asked him to shoot me a three shot group. His group was way off to the right and about four inches in diameter.

I showed him how to adjust the scope sights to center the group. His group was still four inches or worse, but now it was centered.

I then showed him how to properly set at a bench, and how to shoot from the bench, by holding his rifle securely, and steadily.

I had him shoot another group, and wonder of wonders his 25 yard group was now around two inches in diameter. I then showed the guy how to squeeze and not jerk the trigger, or flinch, while holding the rifle steadily.

This time, to his surprise, his group dropped to just over one inch on the 25 yard target. Same shooter, same rifle and same CHEAP JUNKY ammo he was shooting.

There came another break and I had him move his target to fifty yards. Before I let him shoot, we went over what I had taught him, just to reinstill the lessons he had learned. Only this time, I loaded five rounds of my ammo into his magazine.

At fifty yards, his rifle shot a nicely centered, round, five shot group, that was about an inch in diameter. That would be a two inch group at 100 yards.

The guy effusively thanked me, for what I had taught him. I now have a new friend, and he likes his Mini-14 just fine. Why, because he knows the problem was his inexperience, and not the Mini's problem, that caused the big group size.

I didn't talk down to him and tell him his huge groups were his fault, because he was a crappy shooter. I worked with him to give him some lessons and experience he can build on.

Hey, young shooters should hang out with old shooters because old guys know stuff...!

I think the majority of the complaints about the Mini-Guns inaccuracy, stems from shooter inexperience, and CRAPPY, CHEAP, JUNK ammo.

Every body ought to go to Project Appleseed and learn how to become a rifleman, regardless of their previous experience.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Bill

I couldn't agree more. I would also add that even experienced shoots tend to treat their mini's different from their bolt actions and that results in poor accuracy, which they blame on the gun. You have to shoot different bullets in the mini to find out what it likes just like any other gun, but many shoot cheap bulk ammo in whatever grain and complain about the groups. You have to clean the barrel and remove copper fouling just like any other gun to get the best groups, but many rarely think about copper fouling in the mini. The groups are going to open up after the barrel gets hot on any gun, but many will blast through three 30 round mags and then shoot a large group.

I've just been amazed by how many experienced shooters who don't take short cuts with their bolt actions continuously take shortcuts with their mini and then complain about its accuracy?

All of those things make a difference. I bought my mini slightly used. The previous owner complained about the accuracy. The first thing I did was really clean the barrel and that alone cut my shot groups in half.

Last edited by TLuker; 03-27-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #9

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Consider the Mini 30. Do some research and see if it's reliable with military steel case ammo. If I was to get a Mini, it would be a 30. Much more practical in that caliber, particularly as a defensive carbine.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Consider the Mini 30. Do some research and see if it's reliable with military steel case ammo. If I was to get a Mini, it would be a 30. Much more practical in that caliber, particularly as a defensive carbine.
i think the 30 might jus be a little too much for the application ill be using my mini for. il be using it primarily for ground hogs. and maybe jus maybe squirrel or rabbit if i ca get it sighted in good nuff for head shots. and then last but not least home security.

Wars begin where u will