Mini 14 Reliability - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini 14 Reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #41
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3171 Times on 2152 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default Mini 14 Reliability

I have 2 Springers, an A1 and an E2 with the longer 24" bbl. Thinking about a Second Mini, Same .223/5.56, but with a fiberglass Ranch stock and the heavy Match bbl...and a bi-pod....

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I know that the aftermarket magazines suck. I have never found one that feeds well. In most cases they flat out don't work.
It is a little more expensive but you really must go with Ruger factory mags.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #43

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Although you can buy aftermarket stocks that are a fair grade of Walnut, the Mini's wood.... was always Beechwood, colored and semi glossed, to mimic walnut.
My flawless running 187 series (Ranch Rifle) was built with that type of stock.
Some pics on the Perfect Union forum ( Mini pics) , show some aftermarket Walnut stocks , that look like high grade Turkish Walnut.
Most fans of the old traditional wood...have a hard time accepting the Superior Hogue molded stock , with it's rubbery coated skin. Looks like the sales are up on those. The guns of, mid 70 's to late 70's & some early 1980's --- '84 ♥♡ love those stocks, cause it gives..."Good Old carbines " a new chance to show off .

Dino from the Pittsburgh Rat Pack// Amateur Shooter; Professional Accumulator

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #44

Liked 315 Times on 222 Posts

I like my black plastic stock because I bought my Mini to be a gun I could take out and beat up a little without worrying about ruining some nice wood. But I think I may have to buy another Mini at some point and get it a nice custom walnut stock. I love the look of a nice wooden stock.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #45

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
I like my black plastic stock because I bought my Mini to be a gun I could take out and beat up a little without worrying about ruining some nice wood. But I think I may have to buy another Mini at some point and get it a nice custom walnut stock. I love the look of a nice wooden stock.

I am very close to getting one myself. Cant decide on a mini or a new AK.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #46

Liked 315 Times on 222 Posts

Go for the Mini. Screw that Eastern bloc stuff. 😁

Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 AM   #47
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3171 Times on 2152 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Some folks are letting go of older ones, for the life of me I can't see why. I may jump on a used one if the price is right.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
St8LineGunsmith Likes This 
Old 07-31-2014, 03:28 AM   #48

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Some folks are letting go of older ones, for the life of me I can't see why. I may jump on a used one if the price is right.

I just argued with some guy on facebook over that. His 3" groups weren't good enough for an old semi auto with a pencil bbl. I don't understand what people expect. Even the older ones had accuracy on par with an AK style rifle. Told him if hes looking for a tack driver then he needs a bolt action or bench rest a good AR. People seem to be confused that the mini was a simple ranch rifle, with decent accuracy, and great reliability. I have a 580 series with the heavy bbl and it's been good to me so far. With some good ammo and an accu strut id be fine with 1.5" groups at 100 yds. I'm on the verge of buying a high end AR.....and from that gun I will expect 1" groups or less. As for the mini I think it's just fine for what it was designed for.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #49

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

My AR's are more accurate when shot from a bench rest. But shot off hand and trying to get hits on multiple targets rapidly the Mini does just as well. When out in the field you aren't gonna have the bench rest handy. My Mini-14 has had zero reliability issues and that is with having toned down the gas system with a smaller gas bushing to keep the brass from going so far. I do use only factory Ruger magazines and good ammo. A friend has lots of feeding failures and dismal accuracy with his Mini-30 but he insists on using the same crappy aftermarket magazines and the cheapest ammo he can find. I don't think the Mini could handle the larger .243, 6.5 Creedmore, etc. But it should be relatively easy for a competent gunsmith to re barrel one to 6x45, 6.8 SPC or maybe even 6.5 Grendel. The .30 Remington AR round comes close to delivering near .308 ballistics out of an AR-15 sized frame, leaps and bounds more velocity than a 7.62x39, but the round never really took off, and I'd make sure I had a good supply of brass for it before I had one barreled for a Mini. And I don't think standard Mini-14 magazines would work with the .30 Rem. AR either so that would have to be worked out as well.