Mini 14 Reliability
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini 14 Reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Mini 14 Reliability

I recently purchased a mini 30 and encountered multiple issues with feeding and firing. I know that the mini 30 is designed for brass ammo and true to form I encountered light strikes in about 1-2 out of 10 rounds. I expected this going in but I also encountered mis-feeds and jams despite utilizing Ruger factory mags. As a result I could get no comfort with the gun and ended up selling it and purchasing an AR. I have read that the mini 14 is more reliable. I still like the platform of the rifle and want to give the mini 14 a try.

Can anyone speak to a comparison of the mini 14 to the mini 30?

Particularly in ammo? steel? or feeding?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

I had Mini 30 and now have a Mini 14. The 30 did not like steel cased ammo except for Silver Bear. Wolf was not too bad but Tul was inconstant at best. I could run my thumb over the primer and tell which ones were going to be duds. Primer depth varied considerably. I wont buy Tul in any caliber. The Mini 14 has been very good and has yet to jam but I have not run any steel in it yet. Even in the newer heavier barrel 30's accuracy is not great after a few rounds while the 14 has been under 2 moa with decent ammo. Milsurp is not known for great accuracy but I have been surprised occasionally.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #3

Liked 415 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 1216

I have both and the mini-14 is far more reliable but I do not have feeding issues with the 30 I do have light primer strikes on steel cased ammo and also 1 to 2 per 10.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #4

The steel ammo is not as much of factor as most of .223 and all of my 5.56 is brass. I am mainly fearful of the misfeed. This last foray was a little costly.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #5

Liked 174 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty24 View Post
I recently purchased a mini 30 and encountered multiple issues with feeding and firing. I know that the mini 30 is designed for brass ammo and true to form I encountered light strikes in about 1-2 out of 10 rounds. I expected this going in but I also encountered mis-feeds and jams despite utilizing Ruger factory mags. As a result I could get no comfort with the gun and ended up selling it and purchasing an AR. I have read that the mini 14 is more reliable. I still like the platform of the rifle and want to give the mini 14 a try.

Can anyone speak to a comparison of the mini 14 to the mini 30?

Particularly in ammo? steel? or feeding?
I have never had any issues with my Mini 14.

Can't speak for the Mini 30 however. Mini 30 ammo is usually crap, so your issues may be ammo issues.

An AR is guaranteed to jam on you eventually so make sure you carry a hammer and a flathead screwdriver with you all the time while with your AR.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

Can't speak for the Mini 30 however. Mini 30 ammo is usually crap, so your issues may be ammo issues.

An AR is guaranteed to jam on you eventually so make sure you carry a hammer and a flathead screwdriver with you all the time while with your AR.
Your report is appreciated. This is a sample gathering process. I tried hard to make the mini 30 work as I really loved the gun and larger caliber. I am also aware that the gun was designed for .223/5.56 as opposed to 7.6X39.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

whats the hammer and screwdriver for?? been shooting ar15 and m16 since about 1986 never had any of them malfunction.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #8

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

The Mini-14 is known in Hollywood as the "jamless wonder". Keeping in mind that movie armorers use blanks and blanks foul weapons up big time. Weapon malfunctions are common and a real pain while shooting a movie.

This is why mocked-up Mini-14's with futuristic shells are so common in sci-fi movies and TV shows. Check imfdb.org. There are a ton of them. However, this is all the .223 model.

Like any autoloading weapon, your most likely point of failure is magazines. Which is why reliability often drops off when people try to use cheaper brands. Unfortunately, the most common for Mini's is Pro-mags, which don't have a good reputation for any model they supply.

The Mini-30 likely suffers from bad ammunition as well. I've never had problems with Russian steel, but I'm not shooting 7.62mm WP either.

As for the other comment about AR-15's. There is not a guaranteed jam. While I am no fan of the platform and I have seen many jams with them, proper maintenance will take care of that. You'd only need to take tools to the range if you weren't taking care of your firearm to begin with. I wouldn't expect an AR to have problems until you'd had a few hundred rounds through it and maybe dropped it in muddy water for good measure. They are not THAT finicky.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #9

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1879

UH-OH....here we go...

my mini 14 has had ONE malfunction in apx 1500 rounds, and that was using an aftermarket mag (that i haven't used since). if no factory defects exist, the mini 14 is a damn reliable rifle imo. oh, and it is pretty accurate too!

however, my AR 15 has zero malfunctions in about 7-800 rounds as well. so my experience with AR's reliability is very good as well.

both are great guns. i have always preferred the style and ergonomics of my mini 14 though. just preference.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3178 Times on 2158 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
I have both and the mini-14 is far more reliable but I do not have feeding issues with the 30 I do have light primer strikes on steel cased ammo and also 1 to 2 per 10.

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...