Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Mini 14 Reliability (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/mini-14-reliability-108750/)

Liberty24 07-17-2014 02:23 AM

Mini 14 Reliability

I recently purchased a mini 30 and encountered multiple issues with feeding and firing. I know that the mini 30 is designed for brass ammo and true to form I encountered light strikes in about 1-2 out of 10 rounds. I expected this going in but I also encountered mis-feeds and jams despite utilizing Ruger factory mags. As a result I could get no comfort with the gun and ended up selling it and purchasing an AR. I have read that the mini 14 is more reliable. I still like the platform of the rifle and want to give the mini 14 a try.

Can anyone speak to a comparison of the mini 14 to the mini 30?

Particularly in ammo? steel? or feeding?

JTJ 07-17-2014 02:42 AM

I had Mini 30 and now have a Mini 14. The 30 did not like steel cased ammo except for Silver Bear. Wolf was not too bad but Tul was inconstant at best. I could run my thumb over the primer and tell which ones were going to be duds. Primer depth varied considerably. I wont buy Tul in any caliber. The Mini 14 has been very good and has yet to jam but I have not run any steel in it yet. Even in the newer heavier barrel 30's accuracy is not great after a few rounds while the 14 has been under 2 moa with decent ammo. Milsurp is not known for great accuracy but I have been surprised occasionally.

rifleman1 07-17-2014 02:42 AM

I have both and the mini-14 is far more reliable but I do not have feeding issues with the 30 I do have light primer strikes on steel cased ammo and also 1 to 2 per 10.

Liberty24 07-17-2014 02:53 AM

The steel ammo is not as much of factor as most of .223 and all of my 5.56 is brass. I am mainly fearful of the misfeed. This last foray was a little costly.

Shoobee 07-17-2014 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberty24 (Post 1605423)
I recently purchased a mini 30 and encountered multiple issues with feeding and firing. I know that the mini 30 is designed for brass ammo and true to form I encountered light strikes in about 1-2 out of 10 rounds. I expected this going in but I also encountered mis-feeds and jams despite utilizing Ruger factory mags. As a result I could get no comfort with the gun and ended up selling it and purchasing an AR. I have read that the mini 14 is more reliable. I still like the platform of the rifle and want to give the mini 14 a try.

Can anyone speak to a comparison of the mini 14 to the mini 30?

Particularly in ammo? steel? or feeding?

I have never had any issues with my Mini 14.

Can't speak for the Mini 30 however. Mini 30 ammo is usually crap, so your issues may be ammo issues.

An AR is guaranteed to jam on you eventually so make sure you carry a hammer and a flathead screwdriver with you all the time while with your AR.

Liberty24 07-17-2014 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoobee (Post 1605457)

Can't speak for the Mini 30 however. Mini 30 ammo is usually crap, so your issues may be ammo issues.

An AR is guaranteed to jam on you eventually so make sure you carry a hammer and a flathead screwdriver with you all the time while with your AR.

Your report is appreciated. This is a sample gathering process. I tried hard to make the mini 30 work as I really loved the gun and larger caliber. I am also aware that the gun was designed for .223/5.56 as opposed to 7.6X39.

JonM 07-17-2014 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoobee (Post 1605457)

whats the hammer and screwdriver for?? been shooting ar15 and m16 since about 1986 never had any of them malfunction.

CrazedJava 07-17-2014 01:54 PM

The Mini-14 is known in Hollywood as the "jamless wonder". Keeping in mind that movie armorers use blanks and blanks foul weapons up big time. Weapon malfunctions are common and a real pain while shooting a movie.

This is why mocked-up Mini-14's with futuristic shells are so common in sci-fi movies and TV shows. Check imfdb.org. There are a ton of them. However, this is all the .223 model.

Like any autoloading weapon, your most likely point of failure is magazines. Which is why reliability often drops off when people try to use cheaper brands. Unfortunately, the most common for Mini's is Pro-mags, which don't have a good reputation for any model they supply.

The Mini-30 likely suffers from bad ammunition as well. I've never had problems with Russian steel, but I'm not shooting 7.62mm WP either.

As for the other comment about AR-15's. There is not a guaranteed jam. While I am no fan of the platform and I have seen many jams with them, proper maintenance will take care of that. You'd only need to take tools to the range if you weren't taking care of your firearm to begin with. I wouldn't expect an AR to have problems until you'd had a few hundred rounds through it and maybe dropped it in muddy water for good measure. They are not THAT finicky.

hawkguy 07-18-2014 11:27 PM

UH-OH....here we go...:p

my mini 14 has had ONE malfunction in apx 1500 rounds, and that was using an aftermarket mag (that i haven't used since). if no factory defects exist, the mini 14 is a damn reliable rifle imo. oh, and it is pretty accurate too! :rolleyes:

however, my AR 15 has zero malfunctions in about 7-800 rounds as well. so my experience with AR's reliability is very good as well.

both are great guns. i have always preferred the style and ergonomics of my mini 14 though. just preference.

DrFootball 07-18-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman1 (Post 1605445)
I have both and the mini-14 is far more reliable but I do not have feeding issues with the 30 I do have light primer strikes on steel cased ammo and also 1 to 2 per 10.

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk