Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini 14 Magazine won't seat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Never, in at least my experience with my Mini 14's, had after market magazines work very well or at all. Doesn't matter who makes them. Factory magazines are the only way to go for this rifle.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onuallain View Post
I've been trying with the bolt open, and I'm not sure if they're factory magazines. I don't think they are.
If they don't say Ruger on the bottom of the mag. plate, they aren't factory items. I have an assortment of 30-round aftermarket mag's for my old 183-series Mini-14 that work as well as the factory items, but I must admit they are pre-'94 ban magazines. With the availability of 20 & 30 round factory mag's improving along with the lower pricing, it doesn't make any sense to not go with them, especially when they are on Sale. Using aftermarkets is a crap-shoot at best.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Before hicap magazines became available from the factory I fixed a lot of aftermarket mags. The usual issue is that the lug on the back is too high, allowing the magazine to drop below the feeding point. The fix is to build up the bottom of the lug by welding to make it longer. Then using a file remove a little and see if it fits. This can take many tries until it finally seats properly, but once done it will work. If you're not good at welding, have a welder do it. The best welders for magazines are the muffler and exhaust guys who weld thin materials everyday. They'll usually do it for a few bucks and the rest is just your time to fit it.

With factory mags available and affordable it only makes sense to do this if you have a lot of old mags. Back in the day I paid $60 or better, each, for LEO only 20 round mags. I'm glad those days are over.