Mini 14 Magazine won't seat
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini 14 Magazine won't seat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mini 14 Magazine won't seat

Hello all, this is my first post and I thank you for taking the time to read it!

I recently became the owner of a decently well-loved Mini, and to my dismay I can't seem to get it to feed. I haven't fired it yet as I wanted it to cycle correctly first. The problem appears to be with the magazines, but I'm not sure why. The front of the mag will lock in but when I attempt to fully seat it, the rear of the mag falls out. To correct it manually I can pull back on the mag while aiming, but I would like it to hold itself...

Thanks again everyone!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Finding reliable aftermarket Mini-14 mag's. has always been a problem. Most won't feed properly as you say. The best fix is to use only factory "Ruger" mag's. They may not be cheap, but they work.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Finding reliable aftermarket Mini-14 mag's. has always been a problem. Most won't feed properly as you say. The best fix is to use only factory "Ruger" mag's. They may not be cheap, but they work.
+1 You may find an aftermarket mag that works, but they are far and few between.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Sounds like it could also be an issue with the mag catch. The little lever at the rear of the mag well, make sure it is cleaned thoroughly and doesn't have any debris.

Look up pictures of Ruger factory mags also and compare them to the ones you have, see if there are any obvious differences there.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2476

It can be tricky loading the magazine. Try tilting the mag at an angel so that the front is higher than the rear. Slide it into place and then pull the bottom to the rear. That will raise the back of the magazine (the front lip of the mag will feel as though its on a hinge). You should hear and feel the magazine catch click into place on the rear. There will be no doubt when it does seat properly. You may have to try it a few times until you get a feel for it, and to get the front lip positioned in just the right spot.

And don't try firing it unless it is seated properly. That would be an accident waiting to happen. If that doesn't work, and there is no debris on the catch, carry it to someone like a gun smith and get them to take a look at it. They can probably figure it out in a minute or two. Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What Lurkers says is true. Mini-14 mag's don't insert staight in like a AR-15 mag. You have to rock it in from front to back until you hear the click. Some new mag's. need a little break-in until they seat easily after a little use.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #7

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Rocking them in is correct. Just like the Springfield M1A. However, I've never had to "break in" a factory magazine for the Mini-14 or the M1A. Factory magazines with these rifles, for me, have always just "snapped in."

Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I have been a little busy with work, not just ignoring.

I know you're supposed to "rock" them in, but they don't rock all the way, if that makes sense...when you hook the front of the mag, then pull back and let go, the rear of the mag falls about a half inch down and it won't chamber. If you hold constant force back, it will chamber. I'm thinking my mags are just worn out...also I will try cleaning the mag catch. Haven't had much time to play with it lately!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If your bolt is forward (in battery) and the mag is completely full, they will be hard to seat. Are you using Ruger factory magazines?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #10

I've been trying with the bolt open, and I'm not sure if they're factory magazines. I don't think they are.