A Mini 14 Forum!!!! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > A Mini 14 Forum!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

currently i don't own a Mini and do own an AR. but i happen to like both platforms.

both have their strong points and weakness's. we all have our preferences. i happen to prefer the AR over the Mini, but that is a personal preference based on that i am more familiar with the AR platform and that the Mini is inferior to the AR by any means.
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 225 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 156

For what it is worth, I prefer mustard on my corn dogs too.
People Like This 
Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #23

Liked 3228 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2304

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
For what it is worth, I prefer mustard on my corn dogs too.
well, then.....you have passed the test. i have officially decided that you are not a communist.

wait....you prefer mustard on a hot dog too..right?

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-17-2014 at 04:30 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-17-2014, 04:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
well, then.....you have passed the test. i have officially decided that you are not communist.

wait....you prefer mustard on a hot dog too..right?
seriously, did you really have to ask that question?

IMO, there is no other condiment that belongs on a hot dog or a corndog than mustard!
People Like This 
Old 06-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
seriously, did you really have to ask that question?

IMO, there is no other condiment that belongs on a hot dog or a corndog than mustard!
yea verily, axxe. all god fearing, freedom loving 'mericans put mustard on their hot dogs and corn dogs!

i don't care what anyone says, if you put mayo on a hot dog....its a dead giveaway! return home, commie rat!

its getting late, i think i'm beginning to get delirious once again!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1146 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
... comparing Miniís and ARís for functionality, the Mini wins. Cost, the Mini wins again...
I disagree. ARs function quite well and if you halfway try you can get a good AR for the cost of a new Mini, roughly $700-750.

I got ARs long before I got a Mini last month. I am more impressed with the Mini than I expected to be but the AR has so many advantages which are borne out in fair comparisons and even new rifle sales. Still, the Mini has its charm and there's room for both in my safe.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
People Like This 
Old 06-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Quentin;1591407]I disagree. ARs function quite well and if you halfway try you can get a good AR for the cost of a new Mini, roughly $700-750.
true that! my mini cost me $675 and my AR cost me $679 (though it has been both more and less expensive than that). but some (not me) might also call this price point of AR's "lower tier" AR's.

of course, anyone could call my AR whatever they please. i think its a great gun. and so far, 100% in the function department.

Quote:
I got ARs long before I got a Mini last month. I am more impressed with the Mini than I expected to be but the AR has so many advantages which are borne out in fair comparisons and even new rifle sales. Still, the Mini has its charm and there's room for both in my safe.
my experience is almost completely backwards form yours. i started w/ the mini as one of my first rifles when i began seriously getting into the shooting hobby. it took me awhile to commit to buying the mini cause of all the internet talk their problems. glad i didn't listen!

i avoided the AR platform for awhile mostly because i dislked the black & tactical "look" in general (that and said friend with jam-o-matic AR that he obviously never cleaned). but...in the end...i had to see what the fuss was all about...i figured if i didn't like it, i'd sell it. NOW...i can honestly say i can't see myself w/o an AR in the cabinet. i have even got a bit of taste for the tactical look...but mostly i find the function, ergonomics, and aftermarket options amazing. in all, my preference will always be to wood & steel firearms (lever rifles & WWII guns being at the top )....but as i said....i now appreciate the AR and even the tactical style in general.

when the "panic" hit, i could have sold my inexpensive AR for close to $2000 (and i came very close)! yet....i didn't for fear i might not ever get another AR.
People Like This 
Old 06-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
... when the "panic" hit, i could have sold my inexpensive AR for close to $2000 (and i came very close)! yet....i didn't for fear i might not ever get another AR.
Same here, I could have made a killing selling a couple of my AR builds, ammo and many 30-rd magazines but wasn't sure if I could replace them down the road if Osama got her way.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #29

i too started to sell my AR, but in the end decided not to because of two reasons. one if prices didn't come down, i might not be able to afford to replace it at a future date, and two, i didn't feel like feeding the gougers and be one myself simply becasue of the political climate at the time. personally, i think some bought AR's and AK's simply because they were buying into the panic. i even stated to some, you didn't feel the need for one six months ago, why the sudden need for one now?

at some point in the future i do want to add a Mini into my collection, but i want the Mini 30 instead. i have shot a few of the Mini 14 in 223 over the years, but a couple of years ago, a friend brought me his Mini 30 to my house for me to sight it in for his son, who uses it to deer hunt with. now i like the Mini 14, but i like the Mini 30 better, besides, i already have an AR in 223, so i like adding in a different caliber as well.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I also considered the Mini-30 but have 7.62x39 pretty well covered with a WASR-10 and Russian SKS. I have the 5.56 covered with ARs but decided to go with the Mini-14 anyway since 5.56 is such a handy, flat shooting round. And I like the fact that the Mini-14 borrows features from the M14/M1A, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine and M16/M4 (caliber).

Talk about an American Rifle! But 7.62x39 kinda stinks it up a little... (Just kidding!)

Last edited by Quentin; 06-17-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This