Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > mini 14: cleaning the pesky spots....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Kott,
be careful with brake (and other) cleaners if you got a finished wood stock. Many are not safe, especially automotive. I think it is because of acetone, but not positive. Anyhow, Gun Scrubber is safe for wood and plastic. I know nothing better for the little crevices than a full blast of Gun Scrubber through a plastic straw.
i started this awhile back....if i have a gun that the wood stock is not normally removed for basic cleaning......i wrap the stock in plastic wrap while using the chemicals to clean the rest. sounds stupid, but it works well ......now i hope i don't hear next that plastic wrap will ruin your wood stock.....

Old 11-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #12

Liked 762 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 982

What I regularly use on my mini..

Compressed air

50/50 mix of Kano Kriol and Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner..

Gun Scrubber aerosol spray

Break Free

Little dab of grease on the rail

Cotton Flannel fabric patches I cut myself from a section of fabric I bought from a sewing fabric store.

I also use Eesox synthetic oil at times or Miltec 1

TO ADD I break my mini down for proper cleaning.. It's simple and easy to do. at the range directly after use I'll run a bore snake and wipe down my rifle with a impregnated cloth for the trip home.

Become steel or get cut.

Last edited by Steel_Talon; 11-26-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
agreed. just quit b!tchin, eh hawkguy?
Something like that

@Mercator - I only use CLP for everything - cleaning and lubricating. And, granted it usually does get on the wood, but since a cleaning session only takes 10 minutes and I just wipe it down with a wet towel afterwards on the outside, I dont think it will do any damage. I have heard that CLP is bad for plastic though... and, I would assume for wood too.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #14

Liked 103 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I use Breakfree Powder Blast when I start cleaning to get the carbon off, then finish up with CLP. Powder Blast, like Gun Scrubber is probably safe for wood and plastic, I just try not to get any on the stock. One of the beauty things about the Mini is not much at all carbon gets back into the action compared to an AR or other semi auto designs. By slide I guess you mean the op rod ? The front of the op rod next to the gas block does get grungy, I use some Powder Blast on an old toothbrush, then some on a Q-Tip to get into the tight places. Also I bought one of those plastic handled brushes at a plumber supply store and bent the wire at an angle to make a chamber brush. It cost about $2.50, I'm sure Home Depot, Lowes or Ace hardware has them too. Either get the smallest size you can find or you will have to smash down the bristles to fit the chamber. Pictured is the one I bought in the Mini's chamber, one next to it would work also when bent, it has nylon bristles so goes into the chamber easier.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #15

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I use Breakfree Powder Blast when I start cleaning to get the carbon off, then finish up with CLP. Powder Blast, like Gun Scrubber is probably safe for wood and plastic, I just try not to get any on the stock. One of the beauty things about the Mini is not much at all carbon gets back into the action compared to an AR or other semi auto designs. By slide I guess you mean the op rod ? The front of the op rod next to the gas block does get grungy, I use some Powder Blast on an old toothbrush, then some on a Q-Tip to get into the tight places. Also I bought one of those plastic handled brushes at a plumber supply store and bent the wire at an angle to make a chamber brush. It cost about $2.50, I'm sure Home Depot, Lowes or Ace hardware has them too. Either get the smallest size you can find or you will have to smash down the bristles to fit the chamber. Pictured is the one I bought in the Mini's chamber, one next to it would work also when bent, it has nylon bristles so goes into the chamber easier.
thanks....good ideas.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #16

Liked 1276 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 1727

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Pictured is the one I bought in the Mini's chamber, one next to it would work also when bent, it has nylon bristles so goes into the chamber easier.
That's a good idea, thanks. I like to wipe out the chamber in my bolt actions with a long handled swab with a large patch on it and that works great but it will not work in the Mini, of course. Your idea should work great with the same technique.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
JTJ

Liked 1244 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

If you are going to use brake cleaner make sure it is non chlorinated.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #18

Liked 615 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by kott View Post
Something like that

@Mercator - I only use CLP for everything - cleaning and lubricating. And, granted it usually does get on the wood, but since a cleaning session only takes 10 minutes and I just wipe it down with a wet towel afterwards on the outside, I dont think it will do any damage. I have heard that CLP is bad for plastic though... and, I would assume for wood too.
Truth is, we seldom know for sure. I wipe plastic with alcohol sometimes, then Armor All for better looks. A good idea is to blow the excessive CLP out of tiny crevices where it can form crud. Just a quick blast of canned air. An 8 oz air can will last for a long time.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
JTJ

Liked 1244 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Truth is, we seldom know for sure. I wipe plastic with alcohol sometimes, then Armor All for better looks. A good idea is to blow the excessive CLP out of tiny crevices where it can form crud. Just a quick blast of canned air. An 8 oz air can will last for a long time.
Armourall will destroy plastic over time. Do not use it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #20

Liked 615 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Armourall will destroy plastic over time. Do not use it.
Where did you get this information?