Mini-14 cleaning.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini-14 cleaning.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mini-14 cleaning.

Hey everybody. I was just wondering how far people take down their mini's for cleaning? Do you take it completely apart every time? or do you just let her be for a few trips to the range with maybe just a chamber cleaning and a boresnake down the tube? I personally am anal about cleaning my baby so I take her all the way down every time. Any thoughts?

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2010, 03:46 AM   #2

Default depends on what I am burning

I generally take it way down if I am shooting the "economy ammo" for noise. Some of that stuff has to be using charcoal for powder! Econo ammo is something I don't do as much anymore. I have found that the mini responds very well to good hand loads. It is much more fun to shoot accurately than to just make noise. AA 2525, TAC, powders burn very clean in mine with 65 grain bullets. Unless I shoot 300 or more hand loads at a time I just bore snake it, pop the handguard and hit the gas port with a little Rem oil and put it away till next weekend. But then I do live in the desert. Rust is kind of rare around here.

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, if by "completely apart" you mean the gas block and the trigger assembly, then my answer is no. Otherwise, the Mini is a pretty simple field strip unless a guy has a scope mounted on factory rings, which doesn't permit the bolt to be removed. It can be cleaned, though, without bolt removal. If I happen to be in my shop, I keep a small 8-inch section of rubber fuel line handy. With the gas pipe exposed (stock removed), I slip the fuel line over the pipe & shoot some compressed air through it. Aside from that, it's Hoppe's #9 & Mobil 1 mostly...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 06-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

I use Mobil 1 in my vehicles but have never thought to use it to lube my guns. Interesting.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I use Mobil 1 in my vehicles but have never thought to use it to lube my guns.
It works pretty well on guns for the same reason it works well in vehicles. I've also been pleased with the Hoppe's gun grease, which works nicely on semi-auto slides...better than the white grease in my opinion...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #6

I do it this way everytime I run fifty or more rounds thru it. It only takes a few minutes:

& I can get the bolt out with side mount scope mount. but it always takes me a little longer going back together.

+1 on the Mobil 1 synthetic too.

Last edited by Deadman1; 06-27-2010 at 02:40 AM.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:40 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK guys thanks. Yeah I know that bolt always manages to come out better than it goes in, it's almost as if it knows my patience is about to be exhausted and then slips back in just before I give up.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

MidwayUSA has had the AGI DVD's on sale at half price several times recently, including an excellent video on the Mini-14. For $9 & change, it's a great investment for guiding one through a complete disassembly/reassembly...
AGI Disassembly and Reassembly Course Video "Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 Rifles" DVD - MidwayUSA

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com