Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Mini-14 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/mini-14-a-38107/)

Budd 02-07-2011 10:44 PM

Mini-14

I have owned 3 Mini-14 and Mini-30 over the years and I have always been disappointed with the accuracy I seen from them. I knew that I would not get 1 or 2 MOA from these carbines, but I could never get them to group under 10 inch from the bench with sandbags. The Mini-30 would not print on target at 25 yds with a 4 power Weaver scope or with iron sights. One round would be on the left at 8 o'clock just out side the 5 ring without any adjustment to the sights the next round was at 3 o'clock in the 7 ring and the 3rd round if I remember right was at 11 o'clock just on the paper with no adjustment of the sights.

I have not owned a Mini since 91. Now I have been eyeing a Mini in 6.8 and the store owner says that the Mini's has been improved since 91 and has better sights, thicker and stiffer barrel, a shorter barrel, and better quality control. with some after market parts and ad-ons such as Mo-barr (???) can tweak a Mini to a near 2 MOA carbine especially in the 6.8 cal.

Is he right?? What a Mo-barr ??? Is there other things to consider??

Budd

DocWard 02-07-2011 10:49 PM

I'm guessing he means a Mo-Rod.

Mo-Rod

Search the name here and you will find comments on it. Good ones, that I have seen.

rifleman55 02-08-2011 04:55 AM

You can get as good or better accuracy with the 5.56 and ammo is far less expensive. If you buy one, I'll tell you exactly what to do to make it shoot.
My Tactical has shot a best of .9", 5 shots @ 100 and shoots in the .1's on decent days with handloads.
The new one's are far better.

John K

doctherock 02-08-2011 05:50 AM

My 580 series mini is pretty damn accurate out of the box. Once I get a good scope for it I will prove it on paper.

M14sRock 02-08-2011 05:58 AM

I have a new Mini and it is a very good shooter.

Snakedriver 02-08-2011 01:20 PM

Get a Mo-Rod from Kelly at MoRod.com and you'll never be sorry. While you're at it get a Mo-Reaper too. The Reaper has a muzzle brake with a nice bead sight built-in. That will help your Mini's become 2" guns with no stringing from heat build-up.

Here's a link for you to look at:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/196-series-dressed-up-37977/

Ruger has changed the twist rate in Mini's on several occassions, so depending on the Series of Mini's you have the barrel twist rate will determine which weight bullets will shoot best in you guns. For instance, the older Mini-14's with the 1:10 twist will shoot 55 and 62 grain bullets the best.

Mini's can be made to shoot quite acurately with just a little adjustment. :cool:

masterPsmith 02-08-2011 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They will shoot when you get them right. This is one I did for an LEO friend of mine a while back. This was a three round group @50 yards off sandbags with factory iron sights.

Jim.......

hnealg 02-10-2011 12:47 AM

The major change in the new series of Mini's is that they are using a barrel with a larger diameter and therefore it is stiffer. The older style barrel was given to flexing during firing thus sending bullets in slightly different directions. The Mo-Rod acts as a stiffener for the barrel. This goes to say, the modern Mini (serial numbers beginning with 58x-) has proven to be much more accurate.

In other words, I like mine!!:)

Budd 02-12-2011 10:37 PM

Thanks Guys

I looked at the MO-ROD, and the ACCUR-STRUT and I don't like the looks on the MINI but it does seem to do the job it was designed to do.

I was told that the 581 series are very accurate out of the box, but I still see pictures of 16 inch MINIs with MO-ROD on them. Does even the new 581 series have accuracy problems??? or is it just advertising?

Budd

mrm14 02-13-2011 12:12 AM

I find that the new 580 series are much more accurate than the older 180 series. The 580 I have now will lay out 1" groups @ 100 yards whereas the older 180 series I used to have would be lucky to lay out 3" gorups @ 100 yards.