Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Mini-14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mini-14

I have been looking at a mini 14 tactical to purchase,it would be a weapon I would have in my Blazer for self defense along with a xd 40, my problem is I have read some negative articles about the mini 14s accuracy any thoughts?

Tactical mini m14 image by zacii on Photobucket

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #2

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You will find several Mini14 fans here. I'm sure they will be along soon.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You will hear lots of bad things about Mini 14's.

I have been shooting them for over 25 years, have several, and love them.

Are they as accurate as an AR? Not typically. But the new ones shoot very well.

My partner cleaned up at a 3 gun match with his Mini 14 mounted with an ML3 2MOA Aimpoint. Targets were from close in, to 9" steel plates at 300 yards. He beat a lot of guys running custom AR's that day.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Guilty

I am one of the fans also. Have an older ranch rifle that I have fired thousands of rounds through without a single solitary issue of any kind.

I also have a brand new unfired one like you've pictured. I was going to try and save it as non-fired, but I'm really dying to shoot the dang thing. They say the newer ones are more accurate, but I always thought the old model was just fine. Most of my (shooting) problems are caused by the indian, not the arrows.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Mini 14's are very fun guns to shoot,I had one for over 25 yrs. They are not the most accurate rifle when the barrel heats up,but will shoot minute of coyote all day long.
I would have to witness someone hitting 9" steel plates at 300yrds with one to believe it,they were not made for long distance shots,and I wouldn't try shooting one past 100yrds.

If you want to save a little money and have a gun that is just as fun to shoot as a Mini 14,and is more accurate look at a Saiga 223

Old 11-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #6

Liked 172 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 281

I don't have Mini, but to all you guys and gals that do have one, aren't there a lot of aftermarket bolt on parts that are supposed to help accuracy? I think I seen it on this site, a fan boy posted a thread or a comment on another mini thread. Have anyone ever tried any of the things that can help improve accuracy on the Mini? I would be really interested in getting one if I thought that I could get 1.5-2 MOA out of one.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #7

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I don't have Mini, but to all you guys and gals that do have one, aren't there a lot of aftermarket bolt on parts that are supposed to help accuracy? I think I seen it on this site, a fan boy posted a thread or a comment on another mini thread. Have anyone ever tried any of the things that can help improve accuracy on the Mini? I would be really interested in getting one if I thought that I could get 1.5-2 MOA out of one.
You can make a Mini very accurate, with very little monetary investment. My 186 series stainless Mini will shoot sub MOA scoped. The scope was only used for accuracy testing and load development. I shoot mine iron sights only and it shoots sub 2-MOA all day. My best iron sight, 100 yard, 5 round group to date is right at 3/4".

Jim...........

Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
You can make a Mini very accurate, with very little monetary investment. My 186 series stainless Mini will shoot sub MOA scoped. The scope was only used for accuracy testing and load development. I shoot mine iron sights only and it shoots sub 2-MOA all day. My best iron sight, 100 yard, 5 round group to date is right at 3/4".

Jim...........
How did you get yours to shoot like that? Or was it a good shooter from the factory?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #9

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've had this particular Mini for 14 to 15 years or so. It was a fairly good shooter to start with. As it is now, it has a muzzle brake on it that I designed and machined in my shop as well as my own barrel strut. The barreled action has been cryoed, front sight is narrowed to .070" and sports a Williams Foolproof rear target sight. I use my own undersized gas bushings and front and rear buffers. Trigger pull is also match grade. The action is not bedded in the stock, but is a tight fit with shimming and the whole thing sits on a Harris bi-pod.

Here are a few photos of the rifle and targets. I could only load 4 of the 5 targets. ( 5 attachments per post )

Jim..................

Old 11-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #10

Wow...I must say that that is very impressive. If I had to purchase all the stuff that you have fabricated yourself, how much do you think that it would cost me?

I am a big AR fan, for many reasons. But, I think that the Mini is a much more attractive rifle. I am going to be saving up my money for sure. Maybe even sell my prized GSG-5 to get my hands on one of them.

Do you handload or are the rounds in the target commercial loads?