mini 14 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > mini 14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Guess I got lucky too!

I picked up a stainless/synthetic thin-barreled Mini about a year ago and once I got that sucker sighted in, I was very happy. I'm not a fabulous long-range shot and I could consistently bust clays laying on a berm at 100 meters with one shot per clay. It fed flawlessly, as well. Everyone I handed it to found it to be quite accurate, though I HAVE heard plenty of people state that older Minis had a rep for being somewhat less than accurate. I guess I got a good one because LORD knows it wasn't my personal skill that made it accurate.

I recently sold that Mini and replaced it with one of the new NRA models with the thicker barrel. I have yet to shoot it but I do love that new Hogue stock!
I'll let everyone know how straight it shoots once I get it sighted in but I'm expecting good things.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #22

Default All good Kap. Mini back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptin View Post
I was just playing around...I'm sure you are a good shot

Guys have had good luck with cutting the barrel down a few inches on the older Mini's to improve accuracy.
The Mini that my neighbor Mark purchased, has returned. Kudo's to Ruger, for quick turn around, and repair. It is not a world class champ, but it is now a good shooting little gun. With Remington FMJ 1 3/4 inch. PMC FMJ around 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups. Not 10 to 12 in patterns as before. Now Mark has gone Accessory Insane.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
The Mini that my neighbor Mark purchased, has returned. Kudo's to Ruger, for quick turn around, and repair. It is not a world class champ, but it is now a good shooting little gun. With Remington FMJ 1 3/4 inch. PMC FMJ around 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups. Not 10 to 12 in patterns as before. Now Mark has gone Accessory Insane.
I'm glad to here that! I am a big fan of the Mini and like to here good things from the people that use them. Good to here that Ruger took care of your friend.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #24

If you check at the WalMarts that still sell guns, they have tons of them in their system(can be ordered) starting at $650.00.

Walmart left the top 3 gun selling stores in each region with their FFL so they can still sell and order guns. Just call the WalMart nearest you and they will tell you which stores still sell firearms. Any of those stores can order from an online catalog they have access to besides what they have in stock.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.”

That was over 30 years ago in a movie about a place that doesn't exist. Now it perfectly describes what is left of our nations capital.
----------------------------------
- S&W M&P 9
- S&W 22A
- Mosin Nagant 91/30 x-sniper 1944
- Remington 870 Express synthetic
- 1851 Colt .44 Reproduction
----------------------------------

Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #25

Default Target rifle

This thing rocks!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #26

Bobby- If it is any consolation to your friend, a friend of mine, who is a true marksman (military reserve rifle team), tried out one of my MN 44s from
50 yards, into an 18" plastic target.

Out of ten shots from his little sand bags, he did not see where two or three even went.
There was no group, and he used his spotter scope. Even fairly shiny bores can suffer from some corrosion many years ago.

Your friend might try a barrel-stiffener, if he does not mind the price.
Those rifles were built to be very reliable. Mine has never had a ftf using 600 rds. of only Wolf/Silver Bear ammo. These are made for very short-distance fun with plastic jugs etc.