Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > mini 14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Different mini's

I had just read in Handloader Magazene about the Mini little did I know they had came out with 3 different rifling twist rates in the production of the Mini-14 , 1 turn in 7, 1 turn in 9, 1 turn in 11 not in that order depending on when it was produced, some types ammo just wont shoot ! must determine which twist rate you have and shoot the correct velocity and weight bullet I guess.
My Mini does shredd pop cans at 75 yards with no problem, my main problem is holding still to shoot such a light carbine to shoot good.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 03-02-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #12

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As others have said, these reifles are somewhat notorious for patterning, not grouping, haha.

there are a ton of things you can do to help with it, including making or purchasing a barrel strut. this seems to make one of the biggest improvements.

there are other things, such as bedding, that help also, and can be done by you.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Northern Mini

I was lucky when I bought mine in pre-trashed condition it looked like it was rode hard and put away wet, still shoots pretty good for a standard Mini.
I would have to take a look at the Serial # to figure the era it was produced (type rifling twist rate).

Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Mini Stuff

From what I learned the Mini does pretty good the best thing is resurch what they need and just do what is needed, bedding and muzzle break or trimming back barrel length or adding a barrel strut.
I guess I was wrong on the 1 in 11 inch its actually 1 turn in 10
mine was banged out in 1992 with a 1in 7" twist.
ruger mini-14's 1978-1985 was 1 turn in 10", 1986-1994 1 turn in 7" 1995-present is 1 turn in 9"
some the older mini's need to modify extractor on the bolt so extracted cases dont strike the scope.
Seems the accuracy issue is bedding the stocks to take up freeplay at the recoil luggs, and the barrels they have trimmed them back to 17" takeing some the excess vibration out reduceing the groups in conjunction with bedding to the 1.5 - 2" area, also adding a barrel stiffener strut along the bottom has been reported to knock off 1/2" off the groups, also adding a muzzle break/flash suppressor adds weight to the barrel stabilizeing it.

Mini's are a favorite in these parts not because of target rifle accuracy but because of reliability and scopeability and the ability to perform under conditions that give even bolt rifles a hard time of it! they shoot MOA caribou all week long with no hassles, The locals long ago learned to stear clear of the little black AR "jam-a-matic's" for failure to feed in the arctic coastal conditions in a hunting situation.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Reliability? I had 3 different ones inthe mid 80's that would rarely shoot a complete magazine with out at least one jam. I once, accidentally hit the broad side of a barn with mine, I was standing inside the barn when this accident happened.

I had 3 only because I sent the first one back to Ruger and they simply replaced it. The second one blew up about 6 months later. It went back to Ruger and they replaced it. I immediately took the brand new, unfired replacement and traded it in on an AR-15A2. I have had ZERO problems with that rifle in 24 years.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
Neighbor three houses away bought a Mini 14 from a pawn shop for $750.00 (nuts) We tried it today with 6 types of ammo, three different scopes, and 8 to 10 inch groups (patterns) at 100 yards. Got any suggestions other than using it for a tent stake. I checked and rechecked every screw, and anything else I cpould think of over a freezing two hour period. I suggested he return it to the pawn shop (good luck with that) or send it to Ruger. He is not happy.
Sounds like poor marksmanship

Old 03-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Reliability? I had 3 different ones inthe mid 80's that would rarely shoot a complete magazine with out at least one jam. I once, accidentally hit the broad side of a barn with mine, I was standing inside the barn when this accident happened.

I had 3 only because I sent the first one back to Ruger and they simply replaced it. The second one blew up about 6 months later. It went back to Ruger and they replaced it. I immediately took the brand new, unfired replacement and traded it in on an AR-15A2. I have had ZERO problems with that rifle in 24 years.
The Mini14 is, if nothing else, DEPENDABLE. I don't know what to say after reading your post. I sure hope that people do not believe everything they read on the internet. The part about it blowing up was really dramatic. If you use factory magazines it wont jam.

As for the accuracy, the mini has never been a tack driver, but you can hit with in a 5 inch pattern at 200 yards with pretty much any of the vintage models. As someone stated earlier, they came with different twist on the barrel and the bullet weight has a lot to do with accuracy.
My latest one is a new NRA model and it shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Last edited by Kaptin; 03-14-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #18

My Mini 14 was built in '90.

It has been as reliable as a buddy's WASR AK-47 Clone.
I saw a round jam in his and it was probably during ejection.

Therefore, even if it only happened twice, this 14 is just as reliable as an AK design. And although my 30-rd. Promag has been loaded between 6 and 25 rounds (to avoid excess ammo consumption), it has never misfed, and its fit is fairly loose.
Bought both the old rifle (+ old R. factory mag.) and the ( then) brand-new Promag magazine one year ago.
When first being tried out, even my old Ruger factory 20-rd. mag misfed twice, but none after that. Gun stores let used guns dry out with no oil.

My only complaint is with the Wolf or Silver Bear .223 prices.

Last edited by Laufer; 03-24-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #19

Default I beg to differ Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptin View Post
Sounds like poor marksmanship
I have shot expert for most of my 60 years, military, and citizen. This weapon had problems. It was used, I don't know It's history. It has been returned to Ruger. They replied that it was the barrell, with no specifics, and it would be repaired without charge, which speaks well of Ruger. If you do not personally know of whom speak, I would not question their marksmanship.
Respectfully,
Bobby

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb13 View Post
I have shot expert for most of my 60 years, military, and citizen. This weapon had problems. It was used, I don't know It's history. It has been returned to Ruger. They replied that it was the barrell, with no specifics, and it would be repaired without charge, which speaks well of Ruger. If you do not personally know of whom speak, I would not question their marksmanship.
Respectfully,
Bobby
I was just playing around...I'm sure you are a good shot

Guys have had good luck with cutting the barrel down a few inches on the older Mini's to improve accuracy.