Mini 14 183 series
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Mini 14 183 series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mini 14 183 series

I just got a mini 14 183 series with a ram line folding stock any ideas what I should change or make it more impressive? ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Picture please.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:21 AM   #3

Liked 392 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Wood if you want looks, synthetic if you want to do anything usefull with it.
I think I have the wood off mine someplace, but it is not pristine.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:28 AM   #4

Sending pics in the am thx yall

Old 03-13-2015, 02:58 AM   #5

Liked 576 Times on 341 Posts

Get an accu-strut to tighten up the groups. I have 4 stocks for my mini but my favourite is my OD Green Hogue synthetic stock.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #6

Will I need a gunsmith to install the accu-strut?

Old 03-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #7

Liked 576 Times on 341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrivetrains View Post
Will I need a gunsmith to install the accu-strut?
No, not at all. It just screws on.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

Liked 210 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Idrivetrains, the Accustrut is the best thing you can do to an older skinny barrel Mini. If you don't ever do anything else for it at least put on the strut. Not only will your groups shrink by almost half, vertical stringing as the barrel warms up will be greatly reduced, and the strut will take some heat from your barrel so it stays cooler. A few suggestions, get the two clamp model. It is much more effective than the single clamp. The single clamp looks cool and more M-14 like, but is better used on the newer 580+ series that don't need near as much help as the 185 like you have.
Also, it helps to tie everything in together and further stiffen the barrel by doing the "dimple option". The Accustrut will have two set screws that tighten down onto the sides of the gas block. Tighten them down a little bit, then remove the strut, and where you see the mark on the gas block left by the two set screws, hit with a metal punch to keep the drill bit from skittering, and drill a shallow hole there ( 1/16th or so) with a bit a little smaller than the set screw size. This will give a place for the end of the set screw to nestle. This helps to tie in the barrel stiffening strut with something solid and helps the overall benefit of using a strut.
Finally, use blue Locktite on the clamp screws and the little set screws. You should never have to take the strut off again and with Lockite you won"t worry about screws getting loose. Just use Blue Locktite instead of red so you could take the strut off if you wanted to. If you want to do thorough cleaning once a year or so and clean the gas block and tube, you can take the gas block apart by removing the top of the gas block and keep the bottom of the gas block attached to the strut without separating them.
Get some Ruger 20 round magazines if you don't already have them, they are the best, and shoot good ammo, no steel case Russky crap.
If you decide to go to a non folding stock, probably the best and lightest stocks are the Ruger factory synthetic and the Choate. Choate also makes a nice handguard that has a lot of ventilation.
Mini 14 183 series - Mini-14 Forum
Here's mine:
Mini 14 183 series - Mini-14 Forum
Misfire51 Likes This 
Old 03-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #9

Hey appreciate the advice as I'm new to the mini . Will Definitely look forward to hearing more on anything else that I may do to it. I'll start with the ati stock ,and the acu-strut

Old 03-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Totally agree on the Choate hand guard if you are not going to run an ultimak rail. The stock handguard has poor ventilation. A trigger job will help considerably or even just polishing the hammer and sear is a big improvement. I am partial to the Hogue and the Ruger syn stocks, and of course the newer factory wood. Good luck

Tony