Making a New Strut - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Making a New Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1878

impressive, 51! thanks for taking the time to experiment with all these variables. i have always regretted that i didn't do more testing "before and after" with my strut. now, my mini shoots well enough that i am afraid to do anymore tinkering.

as i recall, many posters got varying results simply by paying close attention to where they placed the clamps on their struts, basically seeking a "sweet spot" to get the best results controlling barrel vibrations. i just followed the general directions and got good results.

i also seem to remember that kevin of accu-strut mentioned using some sort of "dampener" in his struts early in production, but came to the conclusion that there was not enough accuracy benefit to add the extra weight. if you get a chance, you might bend kevin's ear (nest engineering) over at the peeyew..smart guy who has done a bunch of testing with struts.

i have also always wanted to see if someone was willing to test how well struts act as a heat sink....i noticed a very different level of heat after i installed my strut. i would be curious what the difference was.

have you ever had problems with the strut slipping from recoil? i had to loctite mine! good to go after that!

well, keep it up. interested in your results...

Old 07-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

have you ever had problems with the strut slipping from recoil? i had to loctite mine! good to go after that!

I have always used Loctite on my strut but with all the testing i have been doing i have torquing the strut screws at eighteen pounds with no Loctite and my strut has been staying put.

I installed a larger gasport bushing, new muzzle break and strut my Mini shoots like a different gun i don't if this is good or not yet. I tested the strut with no filler with a bolt on the end and another strut that was the same but filled with Hi-Temp silicone. The strut tube with the silicone shot much better. My mini shot two inches higher with the silicone filled strut? Moving the strut clamps all so makes a big difference. There is a lot of tuning that can be done with the strut clamps. This week i am going to try two more strut tubes.

"I only like shooting my Mini when i am alone or with somebody" 51

Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #13

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Finding the sweet spot position does take time, also you want to use your 'go to' load when testing. The position may not be the all around best but you know that when you are out with a tuned load/gun set up, you will hit whatever you aim at.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It has been a while scene i posted on how my strut is coming along. To be honest it has turned to be a lot harder than i thought. After adding a new strut and muzzle break everything changed pet loads no longer shot as well as they used to. I wanted to start out with a clean gun so i cleaned it well with Hopes Elite and removed all the copper. That was a mistake it seems my Mini likes a little copper fouling to shoot well. Went back to using Breakfree to clean and keep the copper fouling in check and not remove it all. After i got my mini shooting good again i did a lot of testing moving the clamps around lots of new hand loads. After i went as far as i could go with the 5 inch struts i had to start over with a 6 inch strut. After a lot of testing my Mini liked the rear clamp 1 inch from the gas block and the second clamp 2 inches from the first clamp. With this set up my Mini is a lot less sensitive. Below is a pic of a target i shot with test loads i was able to shoot a lot of 1 inch three shot groups at a 100yd. I tested with three shot groups to save ammo. One group stood out 24gr BLc2 55gr nosler BT 2.250 COL i was able to shoot a 3/8 three shot group. Next week i am going to take two boxes of this load to see what it can do.

"I only like shooting my Mini when i am alone or with somebody" 51