Making a New Strut
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Making a New Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Making a New Strut

I have had shooting with a strut i made from a small flashlight it worked pretty well for me but now i want to try something new. I have been reading old PU posts. I am going to use tubing 1/2 electrical conduit it is cheap 2.00 for 8 foot and looks kind of like my stainless barrel. I am going to remove paint from my TacStar flashlight mounts and polish them out white and finish them in clear and use new stainless screws. I am going to try a plain tube as well as ones filled with silicone, expanding foam, rubber hose and any thing else i can think of.

I bought two barrel mount single rails on amazon for ten dollars shipped to play with. Last time i was at the range i took off the muzzle break and strut put a piece of rubber hose on the middle of the barrel and clamped the rail on it. It was not as good as my strut but it worked pretty good. Next time out i want to just the rail no hose tight to the gas block to see what it does.

I am hoping to find some thing that works good with out using a muzzle break.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #2

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I don't know if you might want a release agent on your barrel to be able to remove if needed. I have thought of the same idea but ordering ss tube that would be oversized. I have a UTG rail on my mini 6.8 now that works well.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here is a pic showing the single rail with a hose mounted. The larger tube is 1/2 electrical conduit and the smaller piece of stock is 1/2 solid aluminum rod. I also found a sks set screw smith muzzle break i was given to me years ago. I am going to make a collar for it to fit my Mini. Tri what would be a good release agent to use?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Heres a pic of my new strut i put together today. I maid it out of 1/2 conduit. now i have to go to the range for testing.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #5

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Nice and simple! Did you use a rubber type glue inside the tube?

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2521

Looks good!!! And I like the idea of trying different materials in it. Each should change the harmonics and possibly be a way to tune it?

Personally, I would love to see a gas block with an adjustment rod extending out so that it also serves as a strut, just like on the M14. I have an adjustable gas block and my strut almost lines up with the adjustment screw in it. It wouldn't be that difficult for some one to just go ahead and connect the two.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 AM   #7

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I don't see it secured to the gas block....

Jim..

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 07-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

tri, I hid not fill this one. I have a idea for the end but for now i want to leave it open. I want to see if it cools faster open and if it makes a difference. I am making two more to day i am going to fill these.

TLuker, When i was looking around the old strut threads on PU their was a guy that drilled and taped his gas block for his strut. So it can be done. I will see if i can find the pic for you.

masterPsmith, It is a sung fit on the gas block. I am going to add two set screws today.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I took the new strut for a spin today nothing to wright home about my best group @ 50yd was 1 1/2 inches average groups were 2 inches with a scope and no muzzle break. next week i will have three more struts to test.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I finished the struts and i am ready for testing. I filled one with hi-temp silicone, one with expanding foam and one with rubber stoppers. I am also going to try a mini mag light and and a clamp on rail with a hose.

I also did some work on my Mini i re-torqued the gas block using my new torque wrench. re-installed my scope with ruger rings (the scope sets much lower now) using this video http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/scope-setup-video-67924/ and installed a new muzzle break.

"I only like shooting my Mini when i am alone or with somebody" 51