Loose Trigger guard problems?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Loose Trigger guard problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Loose Trigger guard problems?

I am experiencing a problem with my ranch rifle, that I'd like some help figuring out. When I'm shooting my rifle, usually after the first couple of 20-round mags hve been fired, the trigger guard will pop up just enough that the trigger will not operate. I don't think I'm actually popping it up on my own, but it seems that the firing action gets it to pop out of the slot. Seems like the trigger guard is just "opened" up enough that its not a really tight fit for the spot it hooks in to. I'm tempted to try to bend the guard a little more so that it's tighter, but thought I'd check the forum to see if anyone else has had this issue, or if I am somehow doing something wrong.

I've had this rifle more than a year and run > 1000 rounds through it. Otherwise its operation is awesome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #2

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

The trigger guard should be tight and not easy to pull. Sometimes I have had to use a screwdriver to pull back. Take some pliers and bend it a little forward.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #3

Yeh, I think I'll try that. My M1 Garands all take a screwdriver to pry it up, but was surprised to see this Ranch Rifle not require that. Thanks, for confirming the fix I thought needed.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #4

I got some info from Ruger's customer service via email and they recommended putting the trigger guard in a vice and tightening it up that way. I carefully put it in my bench vise with lots of padding and was able to get the trigger guard bent just enough to work. Finally got some time on range today and proved it worked. Ran several 30-round and 20-round magazine loads through and never had it come loose. Yeah!