list your top five - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > list your top five

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 02:40 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just put the rear one in. Never heard of the other till i started reading posts on here the other day.

As far as the model, i used the one for the mini, but had to trim the heck out of it. It tends to not fit with the stock so well.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #22

Liked 389 Times on 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdraider View Post
I just put the rear one in. Never heard of the other till i started reading posts on here the other day.

As far as the model, i used the one for the mini, but had to trim the heck out of it. It tends to not fit with the stock so well.
Oh ok. Yeah I've heard people say the mini specific ones had to be shaved, but the 1911 buffers work perfectly right out of the box. I might try them at some point, but for now, I don't mind the brass being tossed that far. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #23

Liked 2926 Times on 1741 Posts
Likes Given: 1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Oh ok. Yeah I've heard people say the mini specific ones had to be shaved, but the 1911 buffers work perfectly right out of the box. I might try them at some point, but for now, I don't mind the brass being tossed that far. Thanks for the help.
i love the violently ejected brass myself, but i don't think others at the range appreciate it as much....

Old 06-02-2014, 02:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i love the violently ejected brass myself, but i don't think others at the range appreciate it as much....
I hear you. At the indoor range it's almost embarrassing how hard the brass hits the lane divider next to me. Bouncing back into my shirt doesn't help either haha.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #25

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Thank you very much for this thread as I am purchasing a Mini 14 in a fee weeks time and was wondering about possible accessories. I already have 2 other rifles that have scopes on them and so I wanted to put a red dot on the mini 14. Any suggestions? I've seen the bundled package with the mount and the Burris fast fire red dot. Is that worth the money? Any other mounts/red dots I should take a look at? Thank you all in advance.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #26

Burris is good, so is aimpoint, vortex, Eotech, and some others depending on your budget. Don't the newer minis come with a rail on the top now? Mine is a 581 but it just has the dove tails. A Google search will yield a lot of rails that'll mount in the factory dove tails, or you could do a rail mount in the scout position.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
Burris is good, so is aimpoint, vortex, Eotech, and some others depending on your budget. Don't the newer minis come with a rail on the top now? Mine is a 581 but it just has the dove tails. A Google search will yield a lot of rails that'll mount in the factory dove tails, or you could do a rail mount in the scout position.
So if it comes with the rail on top, would all I need is the actual red dot sight? Or do I still need some type of mount?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #28

The red dot should mount to any 1913 rail but you could get a qd mount or something. Take my advice with a grain of salt as I've never ran an optic on my mini. Someone else want to chime in?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 345 Times on 237 Posts

You'll need a ring or base. My red dot came with a ring to mount it.

I highly recommend checking out Great West Gunsmithing and talking to John Baker directly if you want some work done to your mini that you don't feel comfortable doing. Plus he has videos on his site detailing some of his work for your use if you want to tackle basic jobs on your own. I sent my Mini to him and he had it back to me in a few weeks. I mounted an Ultimak rail myself, and then had him perform his 'B' package. That includes trigger job(wow), bedding, gas port bushings and recoil buffer, plus a barrel cut and crown and thread. I added a basic muzzle brake for about an additional $50 or so. He was very easy to deal with, and explained what he recommends and doesn't, and why. I'll post pictures in the next week or so. I've been traveling and have not had time to post a lot lately.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
You'll need a ring or base. My red dot came with a ring to mount it.

I highly recommend checking out Great West Gunsmithing and talking to John Baker directly if you want some work done to your mini that you don't feel comfortable doing. Plus he has videos on his site detailing some of his work for your use if you want to tackle basic jobs on your own. I sent my Mini to him and he had it back to me in a few weeks. I mounted an Ultimak rail myself, and then had him perform his 'B' package. That includes trigger job(wow), bedding, gas port bushings and recoil buffer, plus a barrel cut and crown and thread. I added a basic muzzle brake for about an additional $50 or so. He was very easy to deal with, and explained what he recommends and doesn't, and why. I'll post pictures in the next week or so. I've been traveling and have not had time to post a lot lately.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
Would love to see photos of your mini with all the workings. I just ordered the 2 clamp LT accustrut. Haven't decided on a rail or mount yet. Thank you.