Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Kinda lost,,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 15

Default Kinda lost,,

Okay I have been searching the forum and haven't found the answer yet. I guess I am looking in the wrong spot.
I put a 1911 recoil buffer on my mini this afternoon. Then went out to fire a few rounds through it. My problem is, on more than one occassion it tried to double-feed the rounds. Also when that happened the empty didn't fully eject. Would the buffer cause this or is it the fact it is an aftermarket steel mag? I have read about aftermarket mags having issues but they seemed to work fine until I added the buffer. Hopefully someone will help me. So far I really love the mini. Now I will say that I am not a fan of the Tapco Intrafusion stock I have on it and will be looking for an ATI stock to switch with. Maybe someone from central Florida will offer advice and then I could meet with them to work it out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #2

Liked 2303 Times on 1349 Posts
Likes Given: 1468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieduo View Post
Okay I have been searching the forum and haven't found the answer yet. I guess I am looking in the wrong spot.
I put a 1911 recoil buffer on my mini this afternoon. Then went out to fire a few rounds through it. My problem is, on more than one occassion it tried to double-feed the rounds. Also when that happened the empty didn't fully eject. Would the buffer cause this or is it the fact it is an aftermarket steel mag? I have read about aftermarket mags having issues but they seemed to work fine until I added the buffer. Hopefully someone will help me. So far I really love the mini. Now I will say that I am not a fan of the Tapco Intrafusion stock I have on it and will be looking for an ATI stock to switch with. Maybe someone from central Florida will offer advice and then I could meet with them to work it out.
is it a front buffer? check to see if you re-installed the guide rod upside down. if its a back buffer, i'd take it off people give mixed reviews on the back buffers.

the tang should be facing the top of the rifle, when you re-install the guide rod.

i have the 1911 buffer, doesn't cause any problems.

oh, toss the after market mag, stick with factory, and ride into the sunset happy!

Last edited by hawkguy; 12-13-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #3

It is on the rear. I didn't put one on the gas block because I think I am going to have the bushings changed out.
I am starting to agree with everyone about the aftermarket mags. I got a Ruger BX-25 for my new Ruger 10/22 Takedown and it ran perfect. Love that new toy.
Looks like EBAY may getting some new items when I list these 4 mags I have. 2 steel 30rd and 2 composite 20rd Pro-Mags going on the block.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #4

Quote:
It is on the rear. I didn't put one on the gas block because I think I am going to have the bushings changed out.
I am starting to agree with everyone about the aftermarket mags. I got a Ruger BX-25 for my new Ruger 10/22 Takedown and it ran perfect. Love that new toy.
Looks like EBAY may getting some new items when I list these 4 mags I have. 2 steel 30rd and 2 composite 20rd Pro-Mags going on the block.
huh? i thought rear buffer WAS on the gas tube? maybe i got it backwards...

anyway, if the buffer is on the guide rod/op rod, it should be okay. someone was having the same problem once after installing one and realized they had put the guide rod in upside down, which is what made me think of that.

and yeah, 2 factory mags for the mini is probably better than 5 aftermarket....if you like your mini to go BANG every time!

also, glad you like that ruger 25 rounder for the 10/22. i have yet to shoot my new 10/22, but i already picked up a 25 rounder. how's the accuracy on that take down?

Last edited by hawkguy; 12-13-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Wink Buffers

Quote:
The 1911 buffer should go on the gas block pipe (forward end). A seperate buffer (Brownells) is made for the gas/op rod in the rear position. This buffer is too thick and needs to be sliced in half, be careful it is very tough material, take your time. Mine has been on (both) ( forward & aft.)for over 5 years now and has caused no problems. It is a big help and sure quieted my Mini-14 down. I'll see if I can find the product number for you and post it.

RiverRat68
Old 12-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68 View Post
The 1911 buffer should go on the gas block pipe (forward end). A seperate buffer (Brownells) is made for the gas/op rod in the rear position. This buffer is too thick and needs to be sliced in half, be careful it is very tough material, take your time. Mine has been on (both) ( forward & aft.)for over 5 years now and has caused no problems. It is a big help and sure quieted my Mini-14 down. I'll see if I can find the product number for you and post it.

RiverRat68
i put the wilson 1911 buffer on my guide rod, works like dream!

heard too many bad things about putting them on your gas block, so i never have.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #7

I was thinking the rear is on the op-rod.
IMHO the Takedown is very accurate. Granted I am sure with a few mods it will prolly drive tacks at a distance. The BX mag is awesome also. I am just kicking myself because I only picked up one instead of a few. Especially after the issues these aftermarkets are giving me. I may just put them in the bottom of my range bag for a SHTF moment and get me a few Ruger mags.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 AM   #8

Quote:
IMHO the Takedown is very accurate. Granted I am sure with a few mods it will prolly drive tacks at a distance. The BX mag is awesome also. I am just kicking myself because I only picked up one instead of a few. Especially after the issues these aftermarkets are giving me. I may just put them in the bottom of my range bag for a SHTF moment and get me a few Ruger mags.
cool! those take downs look awesome! have fun with it!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 AM   #9

I love the Takedown. The bag is going to make a great B.O.B.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Wink Buffers

Quote:
I just found a better deal on MidwayUSA. Wilson CombatShok-Buf $14.99, Buffer Technologies Recoil Buffer $13.99, Buffer Technologies 1911 Buffer 8 pack $7..49 if you take the time to look these up you will see from the pictures they are made to fit right in. I have set up 4 Mini-14,s using these aand have had no problems. Remeber to cut the aft bushing in two. If you are careful you will have 2 too use.

RiverRat68