Just how accurate?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Just how accurate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Talking Just how accurate?

Guys, I am wanting to do a little mini shooting comparison here, and need your help! I'd like you all to be as honest as you possibly can. (No fish stories plz,) I'm looking for raw (real) data here.

Please let me know your BEST shooting day with your mini:

i.e.: I can CONSISTENTLY shoot 2MOA @ 200yds with Brown Bear ammo and 3-9x30 scope. 1979 mini with Accu-Strut and muzzle brake....

Basically, I want to realistically know what my mini is capable of shooting.

BTW I have a 2010 mini with 18" blued barrel and an Accu-Strut, and have done NO MODS yet. I can CONSISTENTLY shoot 1"-1.5" @ 82ft (25 meters) with stock open sights. I'm practicing for Appleseed Project Shoots.

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to tabulating these stats.
Brother_COM

Last edited by Brother_COM; 06-27-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #2

Liked 768 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 465

Minute of Angle (MOA) technically is a measurement of the change in a bullets path due to gravity and friction (Point of Aim vs Point of Impact). A circle has 360 degrees with each degree having 60 minutes, so the term minute of angle is describing the position of the bullet on an arc. In simpler terms 1 MOA is appox 1" at 100 yds, .5 inches at 50 yds and 2" at 200 yds. If that is what you are seeing then your rifle is shooting at 1 MOA...sub MOA performance requires a rifle built for it (sorry not the Mini-14), ammo loaded for it and a shooter capable of it. Many rifles are more accurate than the shooter...that's why we practice.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #3

Liked 3053 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 2077

well, accuarcy with any firearm is dependant on MANY things. and the internet is FULL of "fish" stories when it comes to shooting MOA. many mini owners claim MOA when ONE moa target is all they have ever shot out of 50 tries. i think AR owners do basically the same thing, although AR's are generally closer to MOA guns. MOA should be about what you & your riflle can do consistantly. shootin MOA (skillwise) is pretty hard, even with a very accurate gun.

also, MOA is NOT 1" at any distance. its slightly more than an inch @ 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards, etc. shooting ONE or TWO sub or MOA groups doesn't claim a rifle (or shooter) MOA imo.

ok...the mini. expect a new mini to be about 2"-4" gun out of the box. some minor tweaking, mods and good ammo and 2" groups is about the best a mini can get at 100 yards (a target model will do better). an AR can normally do a bit better better with groups from 1-1.5". some expensive AR's can shoot sub MOA, but i think like mini owners, AR owners generally exaggerate sub moa.

here is my real mini target at 100 yards. i hit 15 of 20 in a 2" sticker. i actually hit 16, 15, and 14 out of 20 in three tries. i feel like i can claim a 2 MOA mini or very close because of the consistancy. this is not one 3 round group. i'm not expert, this is just mo. but i think MOA is claimed far too often from many platforms based on a couple of good groups, not consistancy.

my mini is a 580 ranch rifle. accu-strut & re-torque gas block. not too far from stock.

steves-20challege-201-1-.jpg  

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-26-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 AM   #4

Smile 200 yrds???

what can you hit @ 200?

Keep the comments comin!

Brother_COM

Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #5

Likes Given: 2

I have killed a few coyotes at about 200 yards, cold bore shot improvised rest. A bunch more closer in.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Well, I don't shoot mine with optics, but here are 5 consecutive targets shot within 1/2 hour at 100 yards without optics. All targets are 5 rounds off the bench using the bi-pod.

Jim........

t1.jpg   t2.jpg   t3.jpg   t4.jpg   t5.jpg  

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

This is the Mini used for the above posted targets.

Jim.......

mini.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 06-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #8

This one is a Mini that I accurized for a friend of mine on the San Diego Sheriff's Dept. a while back. This 3 round target was shot at 50 yards off the bench using factory iron sights after initial sight in....

Jim.......

woodytarget.jpg   183woody.jpg  

Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #9

Liked 3053 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 2077

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
Well, I don't shoot mine with optics, but here are 5 consecutive targets shot within 1/2 hour at 100 yards without optics. All targets are 5 rounds off the bench using the bi-pod.

Jim........
amazing shooting, sir. open sights? WOW!

sent you a pm & a challenge....i hope you take me up on it.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #10

Default Wowzer!

I'm with hawkguy! Them some G-R-E-A-T groups! I don't use optics either.
That one pic of the mini with the wooden topper, isn't that the "old" "extremely inaccurate" rifle??? :-D

Man, this is gonna be FUN! I can't wait to get this thing going.

Hey, I see many guys offer "trigger jobs" I've seen a few videos showing what to hone and polish. I did a superb jon on my 10/22 triggers and am always up to a good challenge! I think i may try the trigger mod, get a better rear sight (like you have pictures. Is it a Williams???) and hit the range.

Once againThanks for the GREAT pics and advice.

Glen
Brother_COM

Last edited by Brother_COM; 06-28-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelling