Jamming Mini

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Jamming Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Jamming Mini

I have been experiencing jamming issues intermittently. Will shoot fine for maybe 20 or so rounds and then I get a audible click. Hammer has dropped and nothing happens. Bolt will not go back and live round in chamber. I have to manually pull back the hammer with screwdriver etc.. and drop hammer to fire off round. Bolt stll jammed and will not pull back with empty casing stuck in chamber. I have to hit bolt handle back with rubber mallet to eject casing. This as happened on two occasions and Ruger did nothing to the gun when I returned it for them to look at. Any Advise?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #2

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

What type of ammo are you using? Is this a new model mini? With the gun unloaded, does it feel like there is a tight spot in the movement as the bolt closes? My gas pipe had a tight fit and I used a rubbing compound to help wear the fit between the oprod and gas pipe.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #3

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1879

ammo and type of mag used? is it a brand new gun? if so, have you disassembled and cleaned your gun before shooting it? you always should with a new gun, factory packing grease is NOT made for shooting!

if did break down and clean the gun, did you reassemble correctly? (the op rod can be installed upside down)

lets start here and then maybe some here can give you some other ideas.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8285 Times on 4788 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

Are you using steel cased ammo? I have heard that can be a problem with the minis because the varnish used to keep it from rusting jams things up. I never shoot steel ammo

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1326 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
ammo and type of mag used? is it a brand new gun? if so, have you disassembled and cleaned your gun before shooting it? you always should with a new gun, factory packing grease is NOT made for shooting!

if did break down and clean the gun, did you reassemble correctly? (the op rod can be installed upside down)

lets start here and then maybe some here can give you some other ideas.
Great advice, Hakguy. It's amazing how many new gun owners skip this step. A gun is assembled at the plant like it is going to sit on the shelf for years, not like someone is going to be firing it tomorrow. Everything has to be disassembled, cleaned and re-oiled to be ready to shoot.

If you aren't comfortable doing this, your gunsmith can do it, and many will do it free for a weapon bought through them.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #6

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Are you using steel cased ammo? I have heard that can be a problem with the minis because the varnish used to keep it from rusting jams things up.
Not true at all.

I have fired 10's of thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through several Mini-14's/Ranch Rifles over the years. It is important to properly clean the chamber, though.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8285 Times on 4788 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwraven View Post
Not true at all.

I have fired 10's of thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through several Mini-14's/Ranch Rifles over the years. It is important to properly clean the chamber, though.
Could it cause the bolt to jam if you don't properly clean the chamber though?

As I said, I don't use steel case ammo so I have no first-hand knowledge.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #8

Federal, Remington PMG. Guns from 1982. Been cleaned Have sent it to Ruger. Feels good when empty. Happens with factory or promag magazines.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #9

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Since the gun is older the guide rod spring may be week. See if you can get another thru Brownell's or Midway. This will give the bolt more closing force.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin