Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Jamming Mini (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/jamming-mini-93526/)

Fishm0 07-07-2013 11:51 PM

Jamming Mini

I have been experiencing jamming issues intermittently. Will shoot fine for maybe 20 or so rounds and then I get a audible click. Hammer has dropped and nothing happens. Bolt will not go back and live round in chamber. I have to manually pull back the hammer with screwdriver etc.. and drop hammer to fire off round. Bolt stll jammed and will not pull back with empty casing stuck in chamber. I have to hit bolt handle back with rubber mallet to eject casing. This as happened on two occasions and Ruger did nothing to the gun when I returned it for them to look at. Any Advise?

tri70 07-08-2013 01:17 AM

What type of ammo are you using? Is this a new model mini? With the gun unloaded, does it feel like there is a tight spot in the movement as the bolt closes? My gas pipe had a tight fit and I used a rubbing compound to help wear the fit between the oprod and gas pipe.

hawkguy 07-08-2013 02:57 AM

ammo and type of mag used? is it a brand new gun? if so, have you disassembled and cleaned your gun before shooting it? you always should with a new gun, factory packing grease is NOT made for shooting!

if did break down and clean the gun, did you reassemble correctly? (the op rod can be installed upside down)

lets start here and then maybe some here can give you some other ideas.

Vikingdad 07-08-2013 03:24 AM

Are you using steel cased ammo? I have heard that can be a problem with the minis because the varnish used to keep it from rusting jams things up. I never shoot steel ammo

TekGreg 07-08-2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1298111)
ammo and type of mag used? is it a brand new gun? if so, have you disassembled and cleaned your gun before shooting it? you always should with a new gun, factory packing grease is NOT made for shooting!

if did break down and clean the gun, did you reassemble correctly? (the op rod can be installed upside down)

lets start here and then maybe some here can give you some other ideas.

Great advice, Hakguy. It's amazing how many new gun owners skip this step. A gun is assembled at the plant like it is going to sit on the shelf for years, not like someone is going to be firing it tomorrow. Everything has to be disassembled, cleaned and re-oiled to be ready to shoot.

If you aren't comfortable doing this, your gunsmith can do it, and many will do it free for a weapon bought through them.

bwraven 07-08-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Are you using steel cased ammo? I have heard that can be a problem with the minis because the varnish used to keep it from rusting jams things up.
Not true at all.

I have fired 10's of thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through several Mini-14's/Ranch Rifles over the years. It is important to properly clean the chamber, though.

Vikingdad 07-08-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwraven (Post 1298510)
Not true at all.

I have fired 10's of thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through several Mini-14's/Ranch Rifles over the years. It is important to properly clean the chamber, though.

Could it cause the bolt to jam if you don't properly clean the chamber though?

As I said, I don't use steel case ammo so I have no first-hand knowledge.

Fishm0 07-09-2013 12:16 AM

Federal, Remington PMG. Guns from 1982. Been cleaned Have sent it to Ruger. Feels good when empty. Happens with factory or promag magazines.

tri70 07-09-2013 02:26 AM

Since the gun is older the guide rod spring may be week. See if you can get another thru Brownell's or Midway. This will give the bolt more closing force.