You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Improving the Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 211 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
OK...could you post a pic? I'm still confused I am new to the whole mini thing and I'm a sucker for accuracy. I have decided that for what I'll be using the mini for 1.5-2" is more than acceptable, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a great link someone posted on one of my threads with the same questions with a ton of stuff to help accurize your mini. Has some videos too. The bushings are something else that is inexpensive that I have heard helps
I bought the buffers and will try them when they come in.
I want an accustrut but I have an old style gas block and they do not fit on my model. I am going to try everything else though.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

Old 12-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #32

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Have had a SS Mini since the mid 80's. Has the same gas block as ccase39's with the standard issue wooden stock. The only thing I don't like about it are the magazines. Factory mags are expensive, $125 for a 30rd at the gun show last weekend, and after market ones are hit and miss, don't always fit. Wish they took AR mags, would make life a lot easier.
I had a mini 14 for a few months , didn't like it at all, I want to say it was 180 or 181 series, it was pretty darn old, but I got it for nothing and made a few hundred off it when I sold it, anyway I ordered a few metal 30 rd mags from promag and all of them worked excellent, never had a prob. out of them

Old 12-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #33
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I would give serious consideration to replacing your gas block if you are going to try a stabilizer rod. There is one made that integrated the strut into the gas block itself, rather than using set screws. http://www.mini14gasblock.com/ or you might keep your eye open for a stock one for sale somewhere. Or maybe contact Ruger directly. They have surprised me many times sending me parts for free that I would have paid for. They are really good that way.

I have the Mo-Reaper and the Mo-Rod on mine and am very happy with them. The guy who makes them was offering a deal on them here awhile ago. Mention FTF and he might give a discount, but since they went to selling through Sunflower I don't know if he still gives discounts like that. http://sunfloweroutdoorsports.com/Mo-Rod-Mo-Reaper-Combo-for-Ruger-Mini-Mo-Rod-Mo-Reaper-Combo.htm

Old 12-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #34

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oh my God, viking, you just made my day!

Those gas block/strut combo things from your link look genius. Thats two things I want - in one! And, at the same time even a little bit cheaper then both parts separately. Also, I would think since they are one piece, the strut might even be more effective! I want one! Like... now!

Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #35
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by kott View Post
Oh my God, viking, you just made my day!

Those gas block/strut combo things from your link look genius. Thats two things I want - in one! And, at the same time even a little bit cheaper then both parts separately. Also, I would think since they are one piece, the strut might even be more effective! I want one! Like... now!
yeah, and did you see that you can get the adjustable gas port integrated into it too? That is one part I have been wanting to get on mine but haven't yet. And you are spot on with the price being very reasonable for it all.

I do, however, highly recommend the Mo-Reaper. It helped to tighten up my groups quite a bit and is a big improvement on the stock front post sight (damned thing is too bulky to call it a blade!). I also added a rear peep that is similar to an M1 Carbine rear sight. That is nice too.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #36
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3868 Times on 2125 Posts
Likes Given: 1143

I put an Amega Rail on a 180 series Mini 30 and it helped a lot. The MoRod helped but the rail really made it shoot. I just got an Ultimak rail for my 580 Mini 14 but it was doing pretty well on its own. I got the rail mostly for the forward optic mounting capabilities.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #37

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah the adjustable gas block is what really caught my attention more then the strut 'attachment'. This whole 2-in-1 assembly is definitely going to be my first purchase for the mini middle of this month when Im not financially challenged. Holidays get expensive fast! haha.