Help! Trying to fix, but where to start?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Help! Trying to fix, but where to start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Help! Trying to fix, but where to start?

My dad dropped his mini 14 off to me today. It's a couple years old, but barely used due to it's terrible accuracy. Started searching the web and the forum for answers. I'm sure you are all aware of what I found so I won't waste your time with that. Where to start? New barrel? Mo-rod? Gas block?
Any direction we be greatly appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mo-rod and bedding the stock are good places to start

Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the response. Looks like I'll be ordering one tomorrow.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Start with the gas block, back the screws off slowly and re-torque them down evenly as possible. If you have an in/lb torque wrench a tighten the screws back in a X pattern to 27-30 in/lbs.

The Mo rod takes a little time to dial in to the loads you are shooting. Start by setting it a 1/4" from the front site sight and shoot 3 shot groups, move forward and backward 1/8" at a time.
Try good ammo to, don't expect good groups from crap ammo.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

JTJ Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I think one of the first things you should do is to have a trigger job done. The GunDoc does excellent work, reasonable pricing and very good turn around time. Check out GreatWestGunsmithing.com. I was really surprised how this affected my shooting. Many more steps after that, that can tweak that Mini-14 to where you want it, most of which you can do yourself.

Last edited by RiverRat68; 11-04-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: puncuation
tri70 Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1797 Times on 998 Posts
Likes Given: 5415

BEFORE YOU START ..

Don't forget to get some rounds on paper as best you can to create a baseline for measuring your improvements.

Suggestion: 5 shots each from 3 types of ammo on separate targets, noted clearly with important info.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2118 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 632

What kind of sights are you going to use? Makes a difference on which way to go. I have a 189 series Mini 30 that is now down to 2 moa slow fire from a rest with Wolf.
I re torqued the gas block and that helped so do that 1st. I installed a MoRod according to their instructions and that helped some more. I decided I wanted a forward mount optic to keep the receiver clear. You have to remove the optic to get the bolt out if it is mounted on the receiver. I bought an Amega rail that replaces the upper forend. It clamps to the barrel and also replaces the top of the gas block. It made the biggest difference. I was planning on a red dot but stuck a cheap 2.5X20 pistol scope I had on it to test for accuracy. 2 moa with Wolf ammo was very surprising. I think the Amega made the most difference. I have a small rail attached to the MoRod for a bipod so I am leaving it on. I should pull it and see how the accuracy is. The MoRod has 2 small set screws that clamp to the gas block but they dont hold well. I am debating drilling and pinning. I would probably try shooting without the MoRod before I do that. The sling loop attached to the gas block makes it hard to get a good angle on the screws to torque. I removed mine, drilled out the holes and replaced it with a removable sling loop.

mini-30.jpg  

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys! The gun shoots horribly. The serial # starts with a 197. At 100yds I would be lucky if all the shots hit the paper. A lot of vertical strings. We've ran a dozen weights and brands thru it with no noticeable difference. Shot some of my handloads with the same results. Looks like an adjustable gas block and a Mo-rod are my firsts purchases. Any recommendations on the gas block would help. Thanks again everybody.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #9

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I installed a "Mo-rod" of my own manufacture and it changed mine into a new gun! It's close to(or at) 1 MOA now.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2118 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Dont get an adjustable gas block until you try other things first. Torquing the screws is your first step. You might try something like this link before you get anything. If it does not hel it will attach to the MoRod for a bipod.
http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Universal-Paintball-Single-Rail-Picatinny/dp/B001WJ4HH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352087522&sr=8-1&keywords=shotgun+rail+mount

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.