Help! Sad mini owner - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Help! Sad mini owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I have heard several similar problems with the tac mini's 16.5" barrel. Something about short barrel and gas pressure with 55 grain. 62 will have a longer barrel time and allow more gas pressure to operate the action. Remember we are looking at milliseconds. Dont seem to have the problem with the Ranch 18.5" barrel.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2536 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Ribbs,

Hopefully by now you have completely cleaned the New Mini and lubed all of the parts with a good quality lube like Breakfree (Don't forget to shake it before use!) Mil-Tec or other good lube. (Not Rem Oil!) It is too lite for the standard semi-auto rifle! And will cook off with heat in the semi-auto rifle! Since it is a brand new rifle I would suggest the parts look a little wet with lube!
Anyway as suggested clean and lube it good! If it doesn't shoot send it in!
No one should tolerate a new rifle that will not function!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #13

Liked 2845 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Ribbs,

Hopefully by now you have completely cleaned the New Mini and lubed all of the parts with a good quality lube like Breakfree (Don't forget to shake it before use!) Mil-Tec or other good lube. (Not Rem Oil!) It is too lite for the standard semi-auto rifle! And will cook off with heat in the semi-auto rifle! Since it is a brand new rifle I would suggest the parts look a little wet with lube!
Anyway as suggested clean and lube it good! If it doesn't shoot send it in!
No one should tolerate a new rifle that will not function!

i never had any trouble with my mini chucking lead all day with a bit of rem oil. but, i will take your advice and start using breakfree. better safe than sorry

i really do think shooting with packing grease could be the problem. i just strpied and cleaned my new AR out of the box and it was FILTHY.

but the tacticals have been a little more trouble prone than others in posts i have read lately. if a good clean, lube, and decent ammo doesn't get it working like a charm....back to ruger and demand a new rifle imo.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I have heard several similar problems with the tac mini's 16.5" barrel. Something about short barrel and gas pressure with 55 grain. 62 will have a longer barrel time and allow more gas pressure to operate the action. Remember we are looking at milliseconds. Dont seem to have the problem with the Ranch 18.5" barrel.
i brought up this issue at another site a few months back. it seemed like the majority of the mini problems were coming from newer tacticals. i could never really confirm that suspition though.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i brought up this issue at another site a few months back. it seemed like the majority of the mini problems were coming from newer tacticals. i could never really confirm that suspition though.
I was looking at the mini 14 when I ran across the info. Seems to make sense. I think I would want the longer barrel anyway if I got one. I have an AR and a Mini 30. I like the Mini's and I can take them into the PRK and actually shoot them at the range if I visit the family. I have 3-10 round mags for the M30. The 20's are a no no.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2536 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Hawk,

It sure is not that Rem Oil is not a good product for the right application.
The only issue is it does cook off if the rifles should get hot! And you are correct! Most all of the manufacturers suggest not to use grease on an AR Rifle. Only a good quality lubricant. M-14 and Garand "Yes!" Good lubricant also including our threads on the Mobile One Synthetic Motor Oil and Mobile One Synthetic Trans Fluid Formula that works absolutely great! Makes a bunch for a good price.
1 quart of Mobile One Synthetic Motor Oil 15 W 50 and 1/2 Quart of Mobile One Synthetic Transmission Fluid. Makes a whole quart and a half of the finest lube you could ever use. We have used it at the Academy Carbine Instructor Certification School for over 10 years. Put it in a container, mix it together and you are ready to go! You can also put it into smaller containers or bottles after it is mixed. I use some old Lube Dispensers that are empty. Like the small bottles of Break Free and other products. Info Only!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Hawk,

It sure is not that Rem Oil is not a good product for the right application.
The only issue is it does cook off if the rifles should get hot! And you are correct! Most all of the manufacturers suggest not to use grease on an AR Rifle. Only a good quality lubricant. M-14 and Garand "Yes!" Good lubricant also including our threads on the Mobile One Synthetic Motor Oil and Mobile One Synthetic Trans Fluid Formula that works absolutely great! Makes a bunch for a good price.
1 quart of Mobile One Synthetic Motor Oil 15 W 50 and 1/2 Quart of Mobile One Synthetic Transmission Fluid. Makes a whole quart and a half of the finest lube you could ever use. We have used it at the Academy Carbine Instructor Certification School for over 10 years. Put it in a container, mix it together and you are ready to go! You can also put it into smaller containers or bottles after it is mixed. I use some old Lube Dispensers that are empty. Like the small bottles of Break Free and other products. Info Only!

good info. thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Ditto what Hawkguy said. There are a number of videos on you tube on how to disassemble and clean the mini. And the problem isn't the 55gr bullets. I get my best groups with 55gr.

Don't clean the gas bushing though. I've read that carbon builds up on the gas bushing and actually seals it. (I'm also wondering if you're not getting enough pressure in part because it hasn't had enough rounds to seal it?)
Why would you want to seal the gas port bushing? The gas port is where the energy comes from to operate your rifle. If the gas bushing port is sealed, your rifle won't work semi-automatically.

Bill

Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #19

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Why would you want to seal the gas port bushing? The gas port is where the energy comes from to operate your rifle. If the gas bushing port is sealed, your rifle won't work semi-automatically.

Bill
You don't want to seal the hole in the bushing, Only the slop between the outside of the bushing the barrel and the gas pipe. Kinda like caulking a 2 inch pipe in a 2 1/2 inch hole.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
You don't want to seal the hole in the bushing, Only the slop between the outside of the bushing the barrel and the gas pipe. Kinda like caulking a 2 inch pipe in a 2 1/2 inch hole.
there he is! welcome friend, this forum just got even better!