Help! Sad mini owner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Help! Sad mini owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Unhappy Help! Sad mini owner

Hello new to the board so hello everyone. I just purchased a new mini14 223 20cf tatical model. I Am having failure to feed issues. I first lubed the gun and then tried pmc 55 5.56. Itwould shoot and feed once or twice before it would either fail to feed or would stovepipe . Then tried remmington 55 gr with the sAme result. I also tried 223 with same result. It had a very light ejection maybe two feet or so I know that aint right. I thought grain of bullet was too light but the bolt will lock back on last shot so it's coming back far enough to strip bullet from the clip. You would think a brand new weapon fro
Ruger would perform but not the case. I have not torn it down so unless it came from factory jackEd up what could it be? I'm thinking gas issue oh by. The way brand new rugged mag I even went and boughta new ruger 20 Rd magazine with same result. I'm upset so I would appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

A brand new rifle? I'd sent it back to Ruger.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1180 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 2283

I noticed my buddy's new mini tactical was only ejecting shells a couple feet when he first got it. It eventually started throwing shells a lot further after running a few mags through it. I'm wondering if it just needs some rounds run through it to break in the action?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #4

Liked 2715 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
Hello new to the board so hello everyone. I just purchased a new mini14 223 20cf tatical model. I Am having failure to feed issues. I first lubed the gun and then tried pmc 55 5.56. Itwould shoot and feed once or twice before it would either fail to feed or would stovepipe . Then tried remmington 55 gr with the sAme result. I also tried 223 with same result. It had a very light ejection maybe two feet or so I know that aint right. I thought grain of bullet was too light but the bolt will lock back on last shot so it's coming back far enough to strip bullet from the clip. You would think a brand new weapon fro
Ruger would perform but not the case. I have not torn it down so unless it came from factory jackEd up what could it be? I'm thinking gas issue oh by. The way brand new rugged mag I even went and boughta new ruger 20 Rd magazine with same result. I'm upset so I would appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks
well, NOT having taken it apart might be your problem. i always give a good clean before shooting a brand new gun. those packing greases aren't made for shooting.....give it a good clean! the only time i failed to clean a new gun before i shot, i had a several malfunctions as well. just a thought!

also, check to see that your guide rod/spring is not installed upside down.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #5

Thanks locutus hawkeye. And tluker. Yep brand new rifle and that's what I'm thinking that returning it to rugerwould be the best idea but I will clean it good and try that I just don't understand why a 55 g bullet won't function in this min I thought minis ate everything! Thanks for the info

Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks locutus hawkeye. And tluker. Yep brand new rifle and that's what I'm thinking that returning it to rugerwould be the best idea but I will clean it good and try that I just don't understand why a 55 g bullet won't function in this min I thought minis ate everything! Thanks for the info
anytime, i spent the first year of my mini ownership asking tons of questions.

there are posters on this board with FAR more knowledge than myself in regards to the mini. but i REALLY think you need to completely disassemble and clean before you shoot again. the packing grease in new guns will give you all kinds of trouble with shooting. many gun manuels will instruct you to clean before firing a new gun.

i learned my lesson on this. i had a new 22/45 that i was in ahurry to shoot. so i took it to the range and shot it before a good strip and clean. it probably malfunctioned 5-10 times in that trip (in less than 100 rounds). since cleaning it and using better ammo, no one single jam.

and its always a good idea to give a new firearm a little "break in" time. give it a clean and run another 100 through it. if the problem continues, consider filming it and then send it back to ruger. they have been known to completley replace defective rifles.

my mini has only had 1 single malfunction in 1200+ rounds. they should be very reliable if functioning properly.

Last edited by hawkguy; 04-14-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1180 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 2283

Ditto what Hawkguy said. There are a number of videos on you tube on how to disassemble and clean the mini. And the problem isn't the 55gr bullets. I get my best groups with 55gr.

Don't clean the gas bushing though. I've read that carbon builds up on the gas bushing and actually seals it. (I'm also wondering if you're not getting enough pressure in part because it hasn't had enough rounds to seal it?)

Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Thanks fellars As soon as I get done with the dishes ,Uh I mean Chopping wood ! I'm Gona go to u tube to guide me through breaking it down . Went to walmart this am and got some grease for lube. I wonder why it dosent say to use grease in the owners mannual? Anyways thanks for all the help keep your finger crossed. By the way when I called ruger Friday they said that these tatical minis ATI style prefer the 64 grain over the 55. It sounds to me they have had a few complaints about this mini. If they would of told me thAt I could only shoot the higher grain I would of went with the 30. Thanks again

Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks fellars As soon as I get done with the dishes ,Uh I mean Chopping wood ! I'm Gona go to u tube to guide me through breaking it down . Went to walmart this am and got some grease for lube. I wonder why it dosent say to use grease in the owners mannual? Anyways thanks for all the help keep your finger crossed. By the way when I called ruger Friday they said that these tatical minis ATI style prefer the 64 grain over the 55. It sounds to me they have had a few complaints about this mini. If they would of told me thAt I could only shoot the higher grain I would of went with the 30. Thanks again
check right here! the best mini disassembly/cleaning videos i came across are right here on the ruger website:

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/extras.html

don't be surprised if that bolt gives you a bit of trouble the first few times. once you figure it out, its no problem.

bullet grain should make no difference at all to function, but will effect accuracy greatly. and i have to agree with tlurker. so far, i get my best groups from hornady 55 grain v-max

i have never used any type of grease to lube my mini. just a dab of rem oil on the main moving parts always worked well enough for me. the mini shouldn't need a lot of lube, a light coat of oil should do it. these aren't AR's

now get back in the kitchen and finish up!

Last edited by hawkguy; 04-15-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #10

Congrats on the Mini purchase. I have one my self! It's my "end of the world" rifle. My min chucks brass so far - sometimes i can't find it! lol

Not sure what you bought your Mini for, but they are great! and I'd suggest reading the whole ACCURIZING YOUR MINI section. I made myself a custom load using a 40gr Hornady bullet and I'm hitting 1/2" at 25 meters. If I hold the thing still i can get 1" to 1-1/2" at 100. It's no AR, but I didn't buy it as an AR replacement. I can hit 20" at 300 just about every time. I'm happy with that!

Get studied up and you'll learn A LOT here!

All for now,
Glen
Brother_COM