Heavy barrel or not? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum >

Heavy barrel or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

An Amega or Ultimak scout rail replaces the upper barrel cover and act as heat sinks while giving you a scope or red dot mounting area in front of the action. I had an Amega on a Mini 30 and it was a major improvement in accuracy. I have the Ultimak on order for my 580 series Mini 14. I had a 2.5x pistol scope mounted on the Mini 30 and it worked very well. Irons wont be affected by the rail.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #12

Liked 210 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Anything metal that you clamp to or around the pencil barrel will draw heat from the barrel and help accuracy at the same time. After installing the Accustrut, my groups were cut almost in half. I've now threaded my barrel and installed a flashider, and put on an Ultimak railed hand guard. The Ultimak, besides being a great place to mount a scout scope or red dot, and acting as a heat sink, also mounts very securely. The front end of the rail replaces the top of your gas block, and bolts to the lower part of the gas block. Back towards the receiver end, a clamp bolts around the barrel, securing that end. I would not be surprised if the Ultimak doesn't give another increase in accuracy.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oh man... so many ideas. Im right back to not knowing where to start I definitely think the strut is a must have, though.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4673 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 2360

You're asking of your Mini what it was not meant to do. It is not a benchrest rifle. It is for quick target acquisition and engagement. If you want maximum accuracy, allow it to cool between strings, maybe run a wet boresnake every now an then. If you shoot rapid fire, expect it to hit 1 Minute of Adversary and then need more cooling time. Be realistic.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

-_^ actually thats basically what I want. Id like to be able to get 4-ish inch groups at 200 meters because my eye sight limits me basically to that range... maybe 300 in perfectly lit conditions at best, but I dont really plan on shooting past that, really. Also, I am sure I did mention that the results I got was standing I kinda feel like bench is for testing and zeroing only and never shoot off of one for recreational purposes. Id just like to be able to go through a couple magazines back to back and not get burnt

Old 11-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #16

Liked 3261 Times on 1948 Posts
Likes Given: 2365

Quote:
Originally Posted by kott View Post
-_^ actually thats basically what I want. Id like to be able to get 4-ish inch groups at 200 meters because my eye sight limits me basically to that range... maybe 300 in perfectly lit conditions at best, but I dont really plan on shooting past that, really. Also, I am sure I did mention that the results I got was standing I kinda feel like bench is for testing and zeroing only and never shoot off of one for recreational purposes. Id just like to be able to go through a couple magazines back to back and not get burnt
well, it sounds like you and your mini are capable of that. the accu-strut should help matters overall. your POI will likely shift significantly after the strut, but i can only imagine after you re-zero that the groups will get smaller and the barrel will stay quite a bit cooler after installing it.

i'm only basing on my experience, but i know exactly what you mean....i would get SCOLDED by accidentally brushing against my barrel before my strut. now, i can touch the barrel after sustained (not rapid) fire....its still very hot, just not dangerous hot.

its normally the mini guys with the thin barrels that get amazing results form the strut! (of course, it sounds like your thin barreled mini shoots better than most)

Last edited by hawkguy; 11-26-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: additon
tri70 Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #17

Liked 3261 Times on 1948 Posts
Likes Given: 2365

oh.....and btw....check out the shooting challenge in the stickies. once you are finished tinkering with your mini.....give the shooting challenge a try and post your targets.....see if you can beat it! it sounds like you certainly could! there is also accurizing and reloading threads you are welcome to contribute to if you want to.

and don't forget to post pics of your mini 14 in the gallery.
tri70 Likes This 
Old 11-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the support And, yeah, so far my mini makes me possibly the happiest any rifle ever did. :P

The challenge sounds fun, though. If I got some extra money to burn this weekend I will definitely attempt it. Got to get stuff for New Years, though, like tickets and stuff. Bad timing, because only thing I want to do lately is tinker with my new toy and get more range time! haha.
People Like This