Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Heavy barrel or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Heavy barrel or not?

I just got to take my new Mini out for the first time and it performed basically like I expected. I had no problem hitting silhouettes and other metal targets at 100 meters and got about 1.5 - 2 inch groups at 50 meters standing with no support with iron sights with cheapest 55 grain ammo I could find. So, factor in human error and cheap ammo and the accuracy is really not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Only thing, is I fired around 60 maybe 70 rounds in an hour, and the barrel was HOT - like, you could not touch it with out getting burned.

Any body got any suggestions on how to reduce it? Like, some sort of heatsink or radiator? I was initially thinking about getting a heavy barrel but for the same price I could probably pick up a barrel strut, a gas block, and maybe even a cheap optic.

Also, the way I figure if you cut your barrel, it has less mass and less contact with air so it would over heat faster? So, any suggestions if its really worth it, because even now its more and more noticeable with every magazine I went through that rounds would hit farther to the right and higher. And, how hot can it get before you have to worry about malfunctions or damage?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6581 Times on 3598 Posts
Likes Given: 12906

Space your shots.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 11-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #3

Liked 2655 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

Quote:
kott;1439564]I just got to take my new Mini out for the first time and it performed basically like I expected. I had no problem hitting silhouettes and other metal targets at 100 meters and got about 1.5 - 2 inch groups at 50 meters standing with no support with iron sights with cheapest 55 grain ammo I could find. So, factor in human error and cheap ammo and the accuracy is really not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Only thing, is I fired around 60 maybe 70 rounds in an hour, and the barrel was HOT - like, you could not touch it with out getting burned.
same problem with my mini. barrel was smoking after about 50 rounds. my solution was a strut to act as a heat sink and it does pretty well imo. now my mini shoots pretty much the same on the 1st shot as it does the 100th. and yeah, people truly exaggerate the mini 14 as an inaccurate rifle....mine is pretty damn good shooter when i do my part.

http://accu-strut.com/

Quote:
Any body got any suggestions on how to reduce it? Like, some sort of heatsink or radiator? I was initially thinking about getting a heavy barrel but for the same price I could probably pick up a barrel strut, a gas block, and maybe even a cheap optic.
skip the heavy barrel imo. if you ever have to send it in for repair (like a FP break)...i have heard rumors (i don't know if the stories are 100% true) of them returning the guns to stock without owner permission and then you are out that $$$ on those mods..... its an advantage that the strut can come off with little or no evidence of it ever being there.

if you get set on a new barrel, i would call ruger and get their policies on this before you pay the $$. that way you can hear it from them if this is true or not.

Quote:
Also, the way I figure if you cut your barrel, it has less mass and less contact with air so it would over heat faster? So, any suggestions if its really worth it, because even now its more and more noticeable with every magazine I went through that rounds would hit farther to the right and higher. And, how hot can it get before you have to worry about malfunctions or damage?
Thanks
i don't think you have to worry about damage, but you will see stringing for sure when the barrel reaches that scolding point.

i guess everyone's experience may vary....but after i added my strut, the extreme heat build up was a thing of the past for my mini.

Last edited by hawkguy; 11-25-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input. So, I am rather sure I will go the strut route at first. Now, it seems there are different manufacturers and all claim to do the same thing. From my research, it seems the accu strut is preferred by most people. Does yours actually cut your groups by 50-75%?

Also, it appears they mount on the barrel and then the gas block, but what does it bolt into?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #5

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

The strut is the way to go...

I'm a bigger guy, so I don't mind heavier barrels,

but the mini is supposed to be a light, easy to

carry rifle.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:14 AM   #6

Liked 2655 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by kott View Post
Thanks for the input. So, I am rather sure I will go the strut route at first. Now, it seems there are different manufacturers and all claim to do the same thing. From my research, it seems the accu strut is preferred by most people. Does yours actually cut your groups by 50-75%?

Also, it appears they mount on the barrel and then the gas block, but what does it bolt into?
the struts, regardless of brand, should all basically do the same thing. i prefer accu-strut because he was the original producer of the strut and he had a lot of expense testing it to prove it worked. also, IF your mini is stainless....accu-strut is the ONLY strut that matches the finish exactly.

the strut will cut your groups 50-75% ONLY IF your mini is an older, thin barreled version.

after my strut on my 580 series (tapered barrel) my overall groups shrunk .5 to 1" maybe....but i do not know how much of that was the strut or other adjustments i made at the time...the main benefit has been how much it cooled the barrel down during sustained shooting (and eliminating stringing). i didn't really test any of that as well as i should have. my overall feeling is that it did help my accuracy, but not as substantial as a 50% reduction in groups.

look closely near the gas block. there is a set screw that secures it to the gas block. without this, the strut is pretty ineffective, as it will slip and move during recoil. accu-strut will provide you with a purple loctite to fix the strut to your barrel....you need to use this on the barrel clamps to make sure the strut doesn't slip.

its easy...just basically a bolt/glue on number......remember if you have a new tapered barrel to attach the clamp slightly off (1" or so) from the gas block.

http://accu-strut.com/pages/application%20guide.htm
accu.jpg  

Old 11-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thumbs up

Hm... sounds awesome! Yeah, mine is a 188-xxxx so it should be a huge improvement I gather, and inexpensive. Thanks again guys and I think I just might order one tonight!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
The strut is the way to go...

I'm a bigger guy, so I don't mind heavier barrels,

but the mini is supposed to be a light, easy to

carry rifle.
Actually good point there. I thought it was very easy to handle but my girlfriend was already struggling with it off the bench. Then again, if you are a 100 pound female youd probably have a hard time with any rifle aside from nice AR's

Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Shooting a CF rifle at 60 meters is not a test for rifle accuracy or skill. Shooting 1.5" groups at 100 meters with a rifle barrel too hot to touch would need some convincing to an informed rifleman.
It sounds like you could use some time with an experienced marksman.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Shooting a CF rifle at 60 meters is not a test for rifle accuracy or skill. Shooting 1.5" groups at 100 meters with a rifle barrel too hot to touch would need some convincing to an informed rifleman.
It sounds like you could use some time with an experienced marksman.
Of course its not a test, but its fun none the less.

As for time with an experienced marksman, well, yeah... that probably would not hurt. However, I never had issues qualifying in the Army and it was rare that Id shoot below 36. I think the one thing I really NEED if Im going to shoot with iron sights is glasses.