Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   got my strut (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/got-my-strut-99366/)

CaseyChadwell 10-23-2013 03:18 AM

got my strut

Ordered my strut Thursday, got it in the mail Monday. The rod doesn't look as good as the one from accustrut, but this one seems nicely made. Going to take it to the range tomorrow and see if it helps shrink my groups down any...

Oh, the strut was $58 new including shipment from true shot technologies.

hawkguy 10-23-2013 04:59 AM

i think you'll be pleased. does the true shot include the purple (high temp) loctite? my accu-strut had to have it to keep it from slipping.

if you got a skinny barrel, expect your groups to be cut in half. :)

and remember, use decent ammo when accuracy testing. :cool:

CaseyChadwell 10-23-2013 06:03 AM

It didn't come with any, plan to put some on in the morning though.

And I'm going to shoot it in with federal fusion and maybe some federal 62 grain fmjs. I'm kind of on the fence on what ammo to use for sure yet, I will be using it for coyotes up to 200 yards and maybe farther on one farm, so I am going to try some things out to see what she likes best.

CaseyChadwell 10-23-2013 10:50 PM

OK, well, I'm definitely frustrated right now. With the strut I am still only getting five inch groups at 100 yards. That's with federal fusion, tula and winchester power point. Any ideas to help me shrink these groups down any?

sputnik1988 10-23-2013 10:57 PM

What kind of stock are you running?

sandog 10-24-2013 01:29 AM

Are you using a scope, and what magnification? What's your trigger pull ? Try some loads with a match bullet, Black Hills, HSM or ADI Australian Outback.

CaseyChadwell 10-24-2013 04:54 AM

Wood stock, factory. I am going to buy some 69 grain match hollow points and see how they do. And yes, I'm running a 3-9x40 scope.

hawkguy 10-25-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell (Post 1411463)
Wood stock, factory. I am going to buy some 69 grain match hollow points and see how they do. And yes, I'm running a 3-9x40 scope.

bullet brand and weight make a huge difference with my mini. my mini gun likes hornady v-max and shoots them to the tune of 1.5-2" groups. you might research your barrel twist rate and start from there. if I use straight plinking fare, I get 2.5-3" groups or so.

hope it gets better. 5" groups is pretty bad (hard to even get a zero with that), mine shot much better than that out of the box. what series/model is your mini again?

wait.....you do have the strut connected to your gas block, right? if so, be sure and check for any slipping also.

and last BUT NOT LEAST......(this has happened to me :o).....CHECK your scope rings to be sure they have not come loose.

there are a lot of variables....be sure you have checked everything.

CaseyChadwell 10-25-2013 01:34 AM

The scope rings were very loose when I shot the first group that strung straight up and down. :eek: I should have checked that first, but I wasn't thinking at all. After I tightened the screws down it went from a foot for five shots straight up and down to shooting extremely high and the five inch groups. I checked a thread on minis on perfect union and seen that my 195 series mini is 1:7 twist. So I should be shooting 55 and 64 pretty good, so I don't think twist is the issue. I cleaned it extremely good tonight, I am going to put some loctite on the scope mount and see if that will help any.

If Sputnik is around, I was thinking about having him shoot it some if interested. Maybe he would be able to see something that I am clearly missing? Idk, I'm getting frustrated and almost put it up at the gun shop today on consignment... but found a 20 round mag and bought it instead. :-). It def looks a lot better now anyway!

CaseyChadwell 10-25-2013 04:30 PM

update

Took the mini to the indoor range today. First thing I did was move the strut clamps to see if that helped and tightened everything down real good. Groups (with Winchester 5.56 55grain fmj) shrunk quite a bit. Went from five inches to about three. Tightened the scope rings down and they shrunk another inch. I'm shooting 2" with the cheapest brass cased ammo I could find. Much happier now than what I was earlier this week for sure!