Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Mini-14 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   going Deer hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f95/going-deer-hunting-33801/)

Kaptin 10-31-2010 04:09 PM

going Deer hunting

I bought a 5 round mag for my Mini and plan to take it deer hunting in a couple weeks. I really like the 5 rounder for a hunting rifle; it feels like my 10-22 when carrying it in the field. I have a Nikon 4X scope mounted on it.
I have a .243 and a 30-06 I could use, but I am going to take the Mini on this trip. I killed a couple of smaller hogs with it last year, and hope to have a nice buck with it this year.

Anyone else hunting with the mini-14 this year?

spittinfire 10-31-2010 04:40 PM

I've said it before and I'm going to say it here. 223 is not a good round for deer. It is especially bad if you've got a 243 and a 30-06 in safe, both of which are far better rounds for taking deer sized game.

Kaptin 10-31-2010 04:46 PM

no need to worry, that 223 will kill em just as dead as my 30-06 ... it just has limited range and I plan on shooting under 100 yards

cpttango30 10-31-2010 07:28 PM

What bullet are you using.....

Spitty man your on a roll brother.

NOTE to OP: you better make sure your legal to hunt with a mini-14 in 223.

ninjatoth 10-31-2010 07:37 PM

Where are you hunting?My deer season opens in a couple of weeks also.

Kaptin 10-31-2010 07:53 PM

I'll be hunting North Eastern Missouri and using Hornady 75 grain hollow points.

perfectly Legal to use for hunting deer there , just like my state of Texas

•centerfire pistol, revolver or rifle using expanding-type bullets. Legal ammunition includes lead bullets, copper bullets and bullets made of other material designed to expand.

Kaptin 10-31-2010 08:02 PM

I have seen deer killed very easily using the 223 and 22-250 using light bullets. I'm going to use a heavy bullet because the deer up there are pretty big. It should blow right through both shoulders for a good clean kill if needed, but I like neck shots best.

spittinfire 10-31-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 377895)
Spitty man your on a roll brother.

Can I help it the same question has been asked 3 or 4 times this week? I have nothing against any of these guys and if they can cleanly harvest game with a 223 then that's fine. I just firmly believe the 223 is better suited for the likes of prarie dogs then deer. It's legal to hunt deer with one here in NC but you'll never see me carrying mine into the woods looking for whitetail.

ninjatoth 10-31-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaptin (Post 377902)
I'll be hunting North Eastern Missouri and using Hornady 75 grain hollow points.

perfectly Legal to use for hunting deer there , just like my state of Texas

•centerfire pistol, revolver or rifle using expanding-type bullets. Legal ammunition includes lead bullets, copper bullets and bullets made of other material designed to expand.

I hunt in Mid Michigan,lower michigan has 2 hunting zones,northern rifle and southern shotgun.I live and hunt in northern,so any firearm can be used here exept for rimfire .22 or below,and semi-auto rifles and shotguns have to hold only 5 rounds,lever or pump guns can hold unlimited rounds and pistols are unlimited rounds.So I can use my 9mm,444,12 gauge and even a .204 ruger.The southern guys can only use shotguns or pistols that are +.35cal and holding 9 or less rounds-i'm glad I live in the northern zone,2010 hunters have all been instructed to kill all wild pigs and piglets this season if we see them also.

R-BOLT 10-31-2010 11:42 PM

I not a big fan of tracking a wounded deer half the night myself. I like to see them drop in the tracks. We have quite a bit of tall/heavy CRP grass and finding land owners to get permission to find your deer is a pain too. I lean to the over kill side too. .243 is the lessor round I have ever use. 50 cal. muzzle loader or the 7mm-08 get my vote. I would probably let a young hunter use my mini in 6.8 SPC, just for the low recoil though.