gb question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > gb question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default gb question

i'm looking to get a gb. but it seems that everyone agrees the newer mini 14 versions are more accurate then the old. so are most gb mini's out there for sale more likely to be the newer version or the older version. if they could be either how do i tell. or is the gb a different animal and this question wouldn't apply. for me 100-150 yds is fine, but if i had a choice i would prefer the more accurate rifle. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #2

also thanks to the person who posted a link to a site selling a gb for 550$ not to long ago. i knew i wanted a mini but couldn't decide until i saw that one. great looking gun.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Are most gb mini's out there for sale more likely to be the newer version or the older version?
If you find a GB version of the Mini-14, it will be among the older versions you mention. The closest thing to it in current production is Ruger's Tactical Version of the Mini-14. The most notable difference between the older and the newer Mini's is the change Ruger made in the barrel. The photo below shows this difference, which is most evident directly forward from the gas block. The change was introduced as a means of mitigating the "barrel whip" condition commonly experienced with the traditional Mini-14 barrel. But, don't let that cause you to give up on a GB or other older version. Accuracy issues can be resolved, and without spending much money.

Incidentally, I believe J & G Sales already sold out of the surplus LE GB Mini-14's they were offering, but I notice now that Gallery of Guns (Davidson's Warehouse) has the tactical Mini-14 on sale for the entire month of April...$665...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Last edited by KMO; 04-10-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

Yeah, the new mini's do have thicker barrels but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on an older model. They can be made very accurate with a few fun modifications and still keep you well below that new gun price.