Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > GB Mini-14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default GB Mini-14

Hello;
I am trying to purchase a Mini-14 and am told it is the "GB" version. Was there a particular serial number range for these? Also, what is (if there is) the one thing that makes a "GB" easy to recognize? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Can you go by the introductions thread and tell us something about yourself?

There are several opinions on this one on the web. I have the GB model in SS, I love it. I have posted two results from a google search below. Good luck, I hope this helps.

The Mini-14/20GB featured a flash suppressor and a bayonet lug. A "Target Rifle" version with a heavy barrel, adjustable harmonic dampener [7] and target stock was introduced in 2006. While never adopted by the U.S. military, both civilian and military Mini-14 variants are popular with many police departments as an affordable medium-range patrol rifle to fill the gap between short-range weapons (handguns and shotguns) and sniper rifles.

The rear sight on standard models was an aperture sight with large protective wings, and there were no integral scope bases. The "Ranch Rifle" variant has scope bases integrated into the receiver, and an ejector that ejects the spent cartridge case at a lower angle to avoid hitting a low-mounted scope. The original Ranch Rifle rear sight was a folding-type aperture, which would fit under a scope.

Ruger made design alterations to the Mini-14 in 2005 altering the receiver, rear and front sights. All new Mini-14s are built with integral scope bases, non-folding ghost ring aperture rear sight and a winged front sight similar to that used on the Ruger Police Carbine.

In 2008 Ruger introduced a National Rifle Association model, with a shorter 16.25-inch (413 mm) barrel, polymer stock and two 20-round magazines.[8]

Ruger Mini-14/F30GB semi-automatic rifle is completely original Ruger issue featuring: pistol grip, folding stock, 30rd magazine(s), bayonet lug, threaded barrel, flash hider.

For government users, Ruger produced two specialized versions of the basic rifle - the Mini-14GB and AC-556. The former is still a semi-automatic only weapon, but is fitted with protected front sight, flash-hider and a bayonet lug. The latter is a selective-fired weapon, and thus can be classified as a true assault rifle. All weapons in the Mini-14 family share same basic design, although there are differences in certain parts; for example, AC-556 rifles had slightly longer receiver, which hosts the fire mode switch at its rear part.

220px-rugermini14-f30gb004.jpg   mini14gb-f.jpg   mini14gb.jpg  

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Last edited by Glasshartt; 02-27-2010 at 05:47 AM.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #3

Thanks....
The one we are looking at has a serial number of: 185-11XX. Where can I look to find out when this manufactured?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can try Ruger or Google Mini-14 serial number dating and see if you get anything.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 03-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Thanks! According to the serial number, this one was manufactured in 1986. We did get it purchased and will try to post some photographs when we get it home. Again, thanks.....