Fun/Interesting targets
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Fun/Interesting targets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Fun/Interesting targets

Hi!
Sometimes I get tired of shooting the same old paper targets. I have steel targets for my slower lead guns. Flip over targets for the rimfire. Nothing interesting for the mini. I use animal crackers at 100 yds. for my varmint rifles.
Looking for something cheap/fun and safe for the range.
Any idea's?

N.R.A. Life
V.F.W. Life

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8429 Times on 4537 Posts
Likes Given: 17828

Jugs of water are fun. They explode.

no offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 03-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Try shooting fruit . Nothing worse than having to go and pick up a bunch of broken crap that you shot up. Pack it in Pack it out. Fruit just biodegrades, plus its very brightly colored.

Tony/ Mighty Arms, Firearms & Accessories
mightyarms.com

Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My favorite targets are pheasant, dove, duck, whitetail, antelope . . . well, you get the picture.

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll let you know. If not, you'll embarrass him." - Milton Hokit

Old 03-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3101 Times on 1507 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Yes, and some fun targets are inexpensive and readily available. When the kids and grandkids come down I have saved several plastic empty Coke, Water, or Gatorade bottles. We simply fill them with water and set them out in different locations. What fun and CHEAP!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 133 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Clay pigeons bio degrade but they are slow to do it so it depends on if it's a dedicated target area for them. Eggs used to be cheap and you can tape a bunch of them on a string to hand up. Daisy makes a target like mini clay pigeons called shatter blast targets I find them a bit pricey though. Can't beat the old vegies and water jugs if they are shooting somthing high velocity to really make em vaporize. Old shotgun hulls are pretty reactive when hit with anything used those alot when my kids were young. I know what you mean too kids like reactive targets to really keep them intrested. Takes a few years before they get intrested in little bitty groups on paper. Another thing you can do though is give em a stack of paper plates and some markers or crayons and let em draw their own targets. They are often much more intrested in shooting paper if they drew them themselves.

Oh you can also tape paint balls to a paper plate not as reactive as some things but it makes it a little more fun.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #7

Liked 341 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 487

My personal favorite that got the kids going is 20oz. or 1 Litre bottles with the tops on and taking off the top by laying it down and lining up to shoot through the bottom ( a 3D target) center of bottom to top great for exact placement and shooting vitals.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 03-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #8

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Apples!!

They are cool when you hit them and as food, you don't have to clean up as the critters love them.

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." Buckroo Banzai - 1984

Old 03-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 133 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Another I almost forgot is charcoal briquettes nifty puff of black "smoke" when hit. bio degrade no cleanup. Cheapish also fun as hand thrown shotgun targets. I'll think of more things as my mond un muddies this weather is kicking my butt lately. Gotta remember all the things we used when me and my boys used to have our weekend camping trips and target shot alot.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #10

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Old golf balls are fun but you have to pick them up. Hard boiled eggs vaporize like apples but are a pain as you have to cook them.

"No Matter Where You Go, There You Are." Buckroo Banzai - 1984