Front Buffer Success? Heat Resistant?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Front Buffer Success? Heat Resistant?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
KMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Front Buffer Success? Heat Resistant?

Several here have already discovered that 1911 pistol recoil buffers fit nicely in the Mini-14. Of course, this is at the guide rod (rear) end of the assembly. Some have experimented with a second buffer at the front end too, placed around the gas pipe. I saw MasterPsmith's photo of one that he used at that end, and it resembled the "cooked" experiments I've tried. Does anyone know of a heat-resistant material that also has a cushioning effect? As I stated on another thread, I grew weary of the molten "goo" I was creating, so I haven't tried anything recently. Ideas?

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 AM   #2

You probably should check into a bi-layer or even a three layer EPDM material. Like what high performance automotive hoses are made from. It won't be subject to melting and probably has some of the buffering qualities you're looking for. Any gearhead will know what it is.

Last edited by Deadman1; 04-22-2010 at 12:06 AM.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I actually have tried some high temp automotive gasket material, but it didn't have much real cushion to it. After awhile, it tended to get harder. But, Deadman1, you might have something there with your "three-layer EPDM material" idea. Problem is, I'm not sure the employees at my local NAPA can even spell EPDM material...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #4

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

if you can find some 1/4'' viton material...it works great for buffer making....just have a sharp razor knife handy and you can use spent cases (chamfer until really sharp) for the recoil spring/s hole..i have shot over 1500rds out of my M-14 polytech rifle after installing a homegrown buffer using viton gasket...and the buffer still looks new