Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Finish Quality of new Minis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As a gundealer I can tell you Ruger Guns are tough to sell, at least in my shop. I do keep well stocked on their handguns, and I really like that they never put a key lock into the frame of their revolver (unlike S&W). Also I feel that their revolvers are built with a much stronger frame than Colt or S&W. Not that I have shot my mini-14 much, but I have had no problems with it yet...

Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #22

They are just common guns for common people.
They just shoot for close shooting.
Want a better gun it is going to cost more.
Or just have it refinished.
I have a Remington 750 in .308 that will get the job done.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #23

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts

Common guns perhaps but up to a few years ago they were decently finished with a lot more attention to detail.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #24

Did you know that the 3" is the spec that Ruger has for it's centerfre bolt guns. As long as it will put 3 shots into a 3" group @ 100 yds, it's in spec.

That's horriable, a bolt gun that won't shoot at least 1" at 100 yds is not worth paying good money for. Any Savage will.

I'd be embarrised beyond belief if any centerfire gun I built for one of my customers would not put 5 rounds into 1/2" or less at 100 yds.

Like I said, I will never buy another Ruger firearm.

You pay good money for a weapon, you should expect for it to shoot very good, look very good and work when it comes out of the box.

I vote with my money.

John K

Old 01-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #25

I think that when Obama got into office, there was a panic to buy guns.
Ruger started cranking them out like crazy, boxed um up, good or bad and shipped them.
My Tactical had 5 things wrong with it. It wouldn't extract, which means they had to pry the cartridges out of it that they test fired and the scope mounts were cut so badly, Ruger rings would tear up your scope.
They didn't seem to care, just boxed it up.
When I sent it back because of the ring mount problem, they just kept it for 6weeks and returned it saying the ring mounts were in spec. They are so bad, it will damage a scope and a rail just sits cocked at an angle.
At that point I designed a new rail that screwed onto the top of the receiver and took it to a gunsmith friend who is frinds with Ken Farrel. Farrel makes the best rails you can buy.
Ken started making rails for the Mini that line the scope up perfect, are as strong as they come.
They do not depend on the scallops, which in my opinion were a bad way to mount rings even when cut right.
I now have the Farrel rail and now have zero chance of any scope damage.
The rail is a beautiful piece of machine work.
Farrel sells them now.

Anyway, I talked with several big wigs at Ruger and was just brushed off.

Sad to say, but in my opinion, rugers QC has gone right down the crapper.

After my experience, I will never buy another Ruger product.
Couple their lousy QC and their policys, I'm not interested in their guns at all.

All just my opinion, but as a retired gunsmith, I do know what's going on.
On another site, it's just one post after another of Mini's with problems that should have never left the factory, so it's not just me.
Some do get good rifles out of the box, but far too many have problems and the finsish work is nowhere near what it used to be. I mean how hard is it to line up a mold for making a receiver. I've seen one a quarter inch off, side to side that was shipped.

All I can say is buyer beware. I have got my Tactical shooting excellent now, but it sure took some work. If I ever had to send it back to Ruger, they would remove all my improvements, so they will never touch my rifle again.

I hear some say that Ruger is so great, they fixed their rifle at no charge, the point is the rifle never should have been shipped defective in the first place. Too many are.

One other thing, if you ever have your Mini re barreled like at Accuracy systems and you send it back to Ruger for repair, Ruger won't touch it. If it's a restricted part such as the FP's which break far more than they should, you are out of luck, you now have a $1500. tomato stake. You can put an aftermarket FP in, but they seldom last more than 1000 rounds.

John K

Last edited by rifleman55; 01-24-2011 at 05:52 PM.