Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Finish Quality of new Minis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I just looked at my Mini and while the line is there, it's smooth and barely noticeable. In fact, if it wasn't for this thread, I'd never have seen it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #12

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

When you look at older Mini 14s whether blued or stainless, they were beautifully finished. The first hint of Rugers cost cutting was seen in the 10-22s, probably the best selling 22 of all times. They switched to a plastic trigger guard and instead on bluing or even painting the receivers they went with a baked on powder finish that you can flake off with your fingernail. I'd rather see the price go up and maintain a decent looking finish. I surmise the bean counters run the company now, and it's a sign of the times.

dsc00147.jpg   dsc00163.jpg   dsc00148.jpg  

Old 12-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm on my third Mini 14 now and this one isn't going anywhere. It's as accurate as I'm capable of shooting it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-25-2010, 01:19 AM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Had mine out last weekend and tore the hell out of an old propane tank at 100 yards with a rest on an old tree. Good enough for me.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have a new style stainless Mini 14 and just dug it out to look for the casting line. Mine looks good. I got it about 4 years ago, IIRC.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #16

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

THe 195 and earlier series were all finished better. Ruger made engineering changes to the newer receivers making them easier and cheaper to produce. The newer Minis are suppose to be more accurate, which is always good. I just wish if they're making a better Mini14 it would look like it.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #17

Ruger has been shipping a lot of Mini 14's and 30's with major problems lately. Bad receivers, bad bolts, guns that won't eject and a host of other problems.
The scope mount problem is one of the worst.

I have contacted them a bunch of times as my Mini only had 5 things wrong with it out of the box. They just don't care, tell you to send it back. It may work wyhen it comes back, but they remove anything you have done, keep the parts and the gun usually shoots 3" groups, not the 1 inch groups it shot when returned to them.

I don't know what has happened at ruger, but the crap they are putting out is aweful.
You pay good money for a rifle, you expect it to work and be of decent quality. Lately ruger can't give either.
I've seen so many posts on other sites, one after another with problems.
I won't ever buy another Ruger, not one.
There are quite a few posts that mirror what I have said. Ruger has been loosing a lot of customers.

This is just my opinion, but I've done a lot of research into the problems and they are real. I hope Ruger gets their act togather again, but I'm not holding my breath.

I sure do love my older Rugers. They used to know how to make a fantastic gun. Guess they forgot.

John K

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Reinstalling Ruger parts probably happens because some attorney told them they needed to do so to avoid some sort of liability. Not returning parts is a major no-go, in in my opinion. I am glad I have my Mini. I may look elsewhere for a .22 though.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
I've owned 4 Minis since they came out and always enjoyed them. I went to a dealer who stocks a lot of them to look at the new ones. Seems to me they are not finished as well as they use to be. The first thing I noticed was the rear of the receiver had a casting line straight down the middle. This was on every new model I looked at both stainless and carbon steel. Every older Mini I looked at was nicely polished and finished. I was so turned off by the cheap looking casting on the new models I ended up buying a 186 model stainless that was like new. I've been told the new models with the heavier barrels and redesigned receivers are a big improvement over the older ones, it's just a shame they aren't finished as nicely. I'll stick with the older ones for now.
Sounds like Ruger found a new way to get themselves a little raise in pay...
Do a little less work for a little more money

Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #20

Yes, I hate to see the quality go down, but it has taken a major nose dive.

I have a newer Mini 14 Tactical, like I said, it came with 5 problems right out of the box.

it took some work, but now shoots .9" 5 shot groups @ 100 yds with handloads. I really like the rifle, but will never buy another ruger product.

it's like the new Scout rifle they just put out. Doesn't shoot all that well and magizines are $71.00 each, what a rip off. Only Ruger mags will fit.

I hate to see Ruger go down this road, but they are.

The Mini 30 breaks FP's with mil Surp ammo.
I could go on and on.
All of this is just my opinion, I'm a retired gunsmith and have done a lot of research into their problems as well as talked with several big wigs at Ruger who could care less.

I'd look real hard before buying another Ruger.
If it's a have to have gun, OK, but if another manufacturer offers something similar, especially Savage, bypass the Ruger.

I never though I'd feel this way, but I've been contacted by so many people who have had problems, I can't beleive it. I'm not a Ruger hater, I own a lot of the earlier ones. I just hate to see good people spend their hard earned money on a gun that's inferior. They didn't used to be.

John K