Finish Quality of new Minis
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Finish Quality of new Minis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Default Finish Quality of new Minis

I've owned 4 Minis since they came out and always enjoyed them. I went to a dealer who stocks a lot of them to look at the new ones. Seems to me they are not finished as well as they use to be. The first thing I noticed was the rear of the receiver had a casting line straight down the middle. This was on every new model I looked at both stainless and carbon steel. Every older Mini I looked at was nicely polished and finished. I was so turned off by the cheap looking casting on the new models I ended up buying a 186 model stainless that was like new. I've been told the new models with the heavier barrels and redesigned receivers are a big improvement over the older ones, it's just a shame they aren't finished as nicely. I'll stick with the older ones for now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have some older Minis, and one of the new batch. The new ones do shoot better than most of the old ones, but I don't remember the finish being noticeably dif. Now I gotta dig mine out.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mag318 you are right. I had to pull my new mini 6.8spc out and look at it last night. I will see that casting line every time now!!! Still not a bad looking rifle over all.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 AM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

My 195 stainless is clean, no casting line.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #5

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah the new 580 series may look a tad rough on the outside but they are far better shooters than the older 180 series.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #6

The new one's are not finished as well as the older one's, but they sure do shoot better.

Just be sure to really inspect any new mini that you are going to buy.
Ruger has had some QC problems in the last year or two. All gun company's do, but some of the problems have been pretty bad, so check before buying.

Most of them are just fine, but some bad one's have slipped through.
Take a good close look at the ring mounts especially and the extractor plunger.

Ruger made a large run that had the scope mounts cut badly due to a bad piece of machinery. If yours are cut bad, Ruger can re cut them. Mine were way off and myself and a gunsmith friend contacted Ken Farrel of Farrel Mounts.
If you need a mount that does not depend on the cuts being right, contact Farrel. He has a new rail that will work no matter how bad the mounts are cut. It does require gunsmith installation.

If the mounts are off just a little, use Millet Angle lock windage adjustable rings made for the Ruger. They will allow you to align your scope if the mounts are only off a little bit. They are really good rings to boot. I like them better than the Ruger rings just because you can get your scope perfectly aligned so there is no damage to the scope, the Ruger rings do not allow for any adjustment. A good scope mount is very important and worth doing right.

John K

Old 12-23-2010, 05:31 AM   #7

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

I was looking at a new stainless Ranch Rifle with a laminated stock the other day. The gun felt great and I'd really like to try one with the new barrel contour. The casting seam though down the center of the receiver is a huge turnoff. I know Ruger is trying to cut corners and save money but COMMON, not polishing the receiver like they use to just makes this thing look cheap.
So until they start finishing these great rifles like they deserve I'll just stick with my old one to deal with marauding water jugs.

mini-14-vs-waterjug.jpg   5.56mm-vs-waterjug.jpg  

Old 12-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That water jug must have really pi$$ed you off.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #9

After seeing this thread I went and looked at my friends Stainless Mini14 that he got at the end of last year and it has the same casting line. It's hard to say how far this issue goes back but it may be a result of supply and demand and they just started banging them out.(He did have to wait to get one shipped to the Dealer) That's just my opinion, no facts to back it up.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I have a 195 series built in 1999 and it has no casting line. As for the newer ones with uneven casting lines, machining probably cleans up the necessary mating surface areas. It just seems to me that if castings lined up so beautifully for years then why is so hard to do it now?