Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Finally bought a Mini-14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 04:29 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
The CDNN O.E. magazines are unmarked, at least I can't find anything on the outside. They seem to be decent quality but I doubt they're Ruger. They snap in and do lock the bolt back. They don't drop free like the Ruger 20 round mags. One was hard to lock in and take out but after inserting/removing a dozen times it's much better.
you're a brave man, quentin...i am truly frightened of mini 14 aftermarket mags....

Old 05-31-2014, 05:00 AM   #52

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
you're a brave man, quentin...i am truly frightened of mini 14 aftermarket mags....
Yeah they may not feed well, Hawk. I'm going to borrow the follower from a Ruger mag to test in one. I may rebuild them since the mag body is of good quality or they may end up just as props since they look so much like M14 mags. First I'll see how they function as is.

CDNN shouldn't call them original equipment, no doubt most people expect Ruger after reading that. I won't cry foul though, I knew at $15 they weren't Ruger.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #53

Quote:
Funny, I just realized that CDNN actually is using "Original Equipment" as the brand name of those straight walled aftermarket magazines! And they throw the name Ruger around in the ad liberally too. Pretty cute! No complaints though, they are decent magazines and can be made better.

A little filing on each one and now they lock in much easier and even drop free. The magazine body is surprisingly well made, roughly equal to Ruger's. I borrowed a follower from a Ruger magazine and it really smoothed things up over the very rough green follower. MidwayUSA has Ruger followers for $2.99, I'll have to add 4 to my next order.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #54

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

interesting. report back on your results. a lot of mini 14 owners are always seeking a less expensive alternative to ruger factory mags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Funny, I just realized that CDNN actually is using "Original Equipment" as the brand name of those straight walled aftermarket magazines! And they throw the name Ruger around in the ad liberally too. Pretty cute! No complaints though, they are decent magazines and can be made better.

A little filing on each one and now they lock in much easier and even drop free. The magazine body is surprisingly well made, roughly equal to Ruger's. I borrowed a follower from a Ruger magazine and it really smoothed things up over the very rough green follower. MidwayUSA has Ruger followers for $2.99, I'll have to add 4 to my next order.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 AM   #55

Quote:
interesting. report back on your results. a lot of mini 14 owners are always seeking a less expensive alternative to ruger factory mags.
I will. It's time to have another outing with the Mini! Ruger did move away from straight 20rd mags (they made them early on then changed to curved ones). So their research must have indicated curved was better which casts doubt on these aftermarket straight ones. Still, 5.56 20rd AR mags are straight and they function well.

______

Old 06-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #56
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1898 Posts
Likes Given: 558

One of these Days I'll get some Plastic Mags for mine. I have both Factory and 3rd party mags, but they are all steel,..I even have a few stainless 40 rounders, I painted black( even though mine is a stainless Barrel)...I have only had to replace a follower once,..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #57

Quote:
I got 4 Ruger magazine followers in the mail today from MidwayUSA along with a Choate handguard. The Ruger followers are slightly different than the follower I pulled from a genuine Ruger 20-rd Ruger curved magazine. The anti-tilt bar isn't as long but otherwise they are just as smooth and work well in the CDNN Original Equipment 20-rd straight wall magazines. Follower tilt shouldn't be a problem. The green original followers were rough and stuck easily, which isn't the case with these new followers. No problem operating the bolt hold open either. I hope to test them out next weekend.

The Choate handguard looks much the same as the Federal Ordinance but fits the 582 series Mini-14 better. I definintely like it better. I think the discontinued FedOrdInc handguards fit the older barrels better.

______