Finally bought a Mini-14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Finally bought a Mini-14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Default Finally... Finally bought a Mini-14

I've had the Ruger Mini-14 on my "to buy" list forever (well, since the mid-1970s) but something else always came up to derail me. Last time I was real serious about getting a Mini-14 I got an AR instead.

But it's remained something I wanted - mainly in lieu of an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine and M14/M1A. I love those rifles but for me the smaller Mini-14 and the .223/5.56 caliber make a lot of sense. In fact the Mini-14 is about the size of the M1 Carbine but is chambered in a true rifle caliber not something more fitting of a pistol. The Garand and M1A would be great but honestly I don't need a full size 10-pound battle rifle. I was issued the M14 most of my 3 years in the Army but liked the smaller M16 I had in Vietnam much better. So the Mini-14 is a better fit for me, one I'll actually take out, carry and shoot. I did think about the Mini-30 but already have an AK and SKS. I just wanted the Mini-14 instead.

Anyway ... today at Walmart I found a nice 582 series Ranch Rifle with wood/blue and two 5-round magazines for $699 and couldn't pass it up! I have followed prices lately and that isn't a bad price except I wish it came with two 20-round mags instead, kinda surprising since Idaho doesn't have capacity limits on magazines. Oh well, I do like the flush fit of the 5-rounders so now have to check out CDNN and CTR for Ruger 20-round mags.

Lately the Minis I've seen locally seemed to be the tactical versions but I have the AR already so wanted to keep the Mini-14 more sporting looking. I got to choose between two they had in stock so picked the one with nicer wood.

So, new member of the club! And yeah, I know I've gotta get a picture up soon!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-14-2014 at 09:36 PM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1215 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I had a Mini 14 back in the 80's. Sold it when I graduated from college for some get on down the road of life money.

The current Mini's are much nicer than the one I sold. To mount a scope you had to remove the "peep" sights on the rear and add a big hunk of steel for the scope to clamp onto.

Enjoy your new shooter.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #3

Liked 403 Times on 229 Posts

You stink lol....only because I paid way more than that for my 580 series stainless steel mini 14 during the panic after Newtown. I feel no shame though, because I love the gun. It runs great no matter what ammo I use. Such a great little handy rifle. I love it.

1400104348261.jpg  

Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
You stink lol....only because I paid way more than that for my 580 series stainless steel mini 14 during the panic after Newtown. I feel no shame though, because I love the gun. It runs great no matter what ammo I use. Such a great little handy rifle. I love it.
Yeah, that was a rough time to buy! But the shelves were bare and it didn't look like you could ever find another one. Today, they had two Minis and a whole bunch of ARs. Very well stocked with rifles of all kinds. Last week I couldn't find a Mini-14 though, even at Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. My closest Walmart didn't have them either but today I was passing another so stopped in. Glad I did!

Nice looking Mini! Mine looks the same except for blue instead of SS.

I'll start out with iron sights but will have to look at the included rail and rings. I might want to play with a red dot later.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-14-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah, that was a rough time to buy! But the shelves were bare and it didn't look like you could ever find another one. Today, they had two Minis and a whole bunch of ARs. Very well stocked with rifles of all kinds. Last week I couldn't find a Mini-14 though, even at Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. My closest Walmart didn't have them either but today I was passing another so stopped in. Glad I did!

Nice looking Mini! Mine looks the same except for blue instead of SS.

I'll start out with iron sights but will have to look at the included rail and rings. I might want to play with a red dot later.
Same here in regards to the rings. In thinking of grabbing a Nikon pro staff 2x-7xjust to mess around with.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #6

And btw congrats! That's great that they have come down in price! I've been thinking about another AR or a mini 30. I'd like a new ar, but I don't have anything in 7.62x39

Old 05-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #7

Liked 113 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Sell it quick. You will get ideas for it and then 1 won't be enough and then....

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 05-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by p35bhp55 View Post
Sell it quick. You will get ideas for it and then 1 won't be enough and then....
I hear ya! But don't plan on upgrading much, just a sling and I'll probably move a RDS over from an AR to see how I like that. Honestly though, I want it to stay like a mini version of the M14 I was issued in 1966.

I did order three Ruger 20-rd mags from CDNN. They're a little over $27 which isn't bad. Thought about the 30-rd but it's about $10 more and I like the look of the 20. They also had 10-rd Ruger mags for $29. (Seems odd to charge more for 10s than 20s! A little slap in the face to folks in ban states that can't go over 10 rounds.)

One reason it took me so long to get a Mini-14 was for the same money you can get a real M1 Garand from the CMP. And the M1 Carbine was available for decent prices until lately. The M1A/M14 is twice as much. I knew some day I'd get one of the four and couldn't ignore the Mini-14 looked so much like the M1 Carbine and a handier version of the M14.

______

Old 05-15-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2102 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Register your warranty card on line with Ruger and you will get 20% off accessories. Mine has the Ultimak forward rail in place of the top hand guard. It allows you to mount a scout scope or red dot forward of the receiver which makes it easier for field stripping. Also known to increase accuracy.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3264 Times on 2219 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quentin welcome to the Mini world!! I've had mine since 1991. It's been through a few different configs. Started as a Wood Ranch with a stainless barrel. Moved it to a Tapco and then an older ATI which is still on it, with the Ultimak rail, and an ok Bi-pod. I have lots of 20,30, and even 5-40 rd. Mags. My next pick up for it will be to take the weaver 3-9x40 off it and put the Burris AR prismatic( either 332 or 536) on it,..
You will want to get a replacement Gas check(block) I have the Accu-Check, but there are others,..
Most recently I changed the Pistol grip, by putting on a rubber absorption overgrip.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...