A few questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > A few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default A few questions

I have owned a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle for a number of years (at least fifteen, if memory serves), although I haven't put a lot of rounds through it--due more to me being busy with life and unable to do much shooting of any kind than anything else. I pulled it out of the safe after going shooting with my daughter yesterday and glanced at it. I believe it is a 195 series serial number. It is stainless, with the curved metal butt plate. So, now the questions:

Is there an aftermarket wooden stock made for it that has a better butt plate/recoil pad than the original? I have looked and have found laminated, synthetic and the like, but nothing resembling the traditional wooden stocks.

Second, I have never had any real complaints about the accuracy, but then again, I haven't done a lot of shooting with it. What can or should be done to help in that regard. I have seen the advertisement for the Mo-Rod, and for the price, that seems like a reasonable option.

Finally, I have some of the Thermold polymer magazines from way back when I first purchased it. They didn't give me any real troubles when I shot it, but what is the scoop on them? I have heard from "bad" to "OK" about them, but nothing really "good." I don't see much in the way of metal 30 rounders, it looks like 20 rounds is the most common, unless you really want to pay for them, which I would prefer to avoid.

Any ideas, thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Thermold Mini mags always worked fine for me.

Have you considered one of the rubber butt pad extensions that lengthen the pull on old Mini's and 10/22's?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Thermold Mini mags always worked fine for me.

Have you considered one of the rubber butt pad extensions that lengthen the pull on old Mini's and 10/22's?
I was unaware of the extensions. How do they look on the Mini?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWard View Post
I think Choate made them originally. There is probably one out in my "box o' stocks" in the garage. If I can't find a pic on Google I'll see if there is one out there and click a pic for ya.

It is just a 1" rubber extension.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Take a look at this. It is the same as the old Choate.

Semi-Auto Rifle Recoil Pad Ruger Recoil Pad - John Masen

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 12-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It looks interesting, but I saw reviews at Midway USA that indicate it is a bit large, needing trimmed down, and is hard plastic, not really much of a "recoil pad."

John Masen Recoil Pad Ruger 10/22, 44 Carbine, Mini-14, and Mini-30 Rifle Extended Rubber Black - MidwayUSA

I suppose for the price it might be worth looking into.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #7

The ones that Choate offered were rubber, but they were intended to lengthen the stock and not really a recoil pad. The rifles they go on are not "kickers".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
The ones that Choate offered were rubber, but they were intended to lengthen the stock and not really a recoil pad. The rifles they go on are not "kickers".
That is a good point, the Mini doesn't have much kick. Given the cost, I might just give one a try, although I may still be on the look for another stock. I forget where I spotted it, but I saw one on a forum that had a strong resemblance to an actual M-14, just smaller. I loved the look of it.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
That is a good point, the Mini doesn't have much kick. Given the cost, I might just give one a try, although I may still be on the look for another stock. I forget where I spotted it, but I saw one on a forum that had a strong resemblance to an actual M-14, just smaller. I loved the look of it.
Hogue makes their "Overmolded" stock for the Mini. I have one and love it.

Do you need wood?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 12-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Hogue makes their "Overmolded" stock for the Mini. I have one and love it.

Do you need wood?
I have actually considered one of those, and may end up going that route. The only real reason for not doing so would be the fact that I simply like the look of wood. I realize the overmolded stock would probably be much more durable in the long run.