Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > A few general questions on stocks & accessories?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A few general questions on stocks & accessories?

Hi fellas! I am about to come off deployment and will be retiring soon. With some time on my hands, I want to go back and finish a gun that I love.... A MINI 14.

I started tinkering with one in college but never got to finish it and there weren't all that many parts back in the 70's like there are now. So I picked up a 196 stainles Ranch Rifle a few weeks ago while I was home on leave and would like to start ordering a few things now. So question is:

Struts:
1. I have looked at the MO-ROD, ACCU-STRUT, HAR-BAR etc. Am I missing anyone or any product worthy of review? Comments on the ASI Harmonic Stabilizer???
2. Are most of these struts all about the same and it comes down to preference or is their a shining star that is better than the others?

Stocks:
Again I have looked at the PRO- MAG Sparta, Tap-Co, Clyde SCAR, ATI, Choat, Ram Line and Ruger folders. I thnk the ATI is about what I'm looking for and I see the sales hype BUT...
1. Does anyone have comments on long term use / quaility, fit & finish, folding hinge issues and or rigidity of the stocks in general? Like I said, I'm leaning to the ATI but I did see one (only one) comment on another forum, that in his opinion the ATI was flimsy & toy like? Any one have an ATI for while and has used it to comment?
2.Have I missed a mfg's stock that I should look at?
3. Do the ATI (or any of the other brands) need to be bedded or are they pretty good to go?

Many thanks!

Capt. Thomas

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #2

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

All struts will help about the same, Accu-Strut has put the most research into the product and was the original design. The struts are easier to adjust and tune to a load or bullet weight than the balancer.
I have a Bulter Creek folder and it feels well made but I don't have any others to compare it to. You may see if you can feel several different brands at a local store.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agree with tri70 on struts -- they all make about the same improvement, it just comes down to aesthetics.

As for stocks, I've stuck with the factory synthetic, so I can't be much help with your folder selection.

Last edited by COBrien; 08-13-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #4

Ok, I kinda thought that may be the case with the strut's. I'm leaning to the Accu-Strut and the Har-Bar..... prolly the Accu-Strut.

Wow, on the stocks I figuered there would be a few comments?? No one has any info on the ATI or opinions on the any of the mfg's stock products??

Capt. Thomas

Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #5

I have used two ATI products and were not very satisfied with either. They were for my shotgun, but the lack of craftsmanship is probably company wide. I would definitely shop around before you make a decision.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1957

Take a look at the Hogue stock. It's not a folder but it is nice.

The Mo-Rod was very popular on this forum. I have the accu-strut and have been very happy with it. Like most everyone else, I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Congrats on your return home and upcoming retirement!!!