Factory Barrel Thread Size?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > Mini-14 Forum > Factory Barrel Thread Size?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
KMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Factory Barrel Thread Size?

I have a 580-series tactical Mini-14 with the factory flash hider on it. I removed the flash hider for some R & D, and the factory barrel thread size is 9/16" x 24 RH. Has anyone found their threaded factory barrels to have any other thread size than this? I can't imagine so, but I don't want to commit on a new project if Ruger made any changes after the 580-series...Please confirm if you've checked your newer versions with factory-cut threads...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #2

Liked 329 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 30

My 580 has 9/16X24 RH threads. I bought it new in December of 2008.

Last edited by mrm14; 05-15-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This seems odd to me...I have not confirmed it yet, but apparently 2009 & later Mini's are threaded 1/2-28 (.223) and 5/8-24 (6.8 and Mini-30).

Where is Gundoc on this? Is he not monitoring this forum?

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Last edited by KMO; 05-17-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've heard rumors and maybe even a magazine piece that said Ruger was using 1/2x28 on some Minis, but everything through my shop has been 9/16x24 in the 14Tacticals.

9/16x24 has been used since the GB models. I've found the barrels didn't require turning to major diameter (at factory length), just a truing cut if anything.

While I want to believe that Ruger would use a standard AR thread for the .223 I'll only believe it when I see it. Using 9/16 allows for using the existing molds/parts and in keeping with Ruger philosophy doesn't allow the average Joe to install parts that may not have sufficient exit diameters or require exact alignment to be safely used.

I've tried to reach my source at Ruger to confirm thread specs but I've been unsuccessful thus far.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Whoa! That profile photo is ominous...Thanks for that info on the thread sizes. I'm starting to think that the 1/2" x 28 is a rumor. Frankly, since they're using the same newer flanged barrel, what would the logic be in cutting down the thread size from 9/16" x 24? I don't mind calling the east coast Ruger shop, but they're never as friendly on the phone as the Prescott folks are, especially when I ask questions about specs & dimensions. On second thought, I'll have my wife call instead...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 05-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, we confirmed that Ruger did, in fact, change the thread size on their threaded barrels to 1/2" - 28. We were checking into this because of the demand for a Mo-Reaper that would fit the Mini's with the factory threaded barrel. While momentarily boggled by the obstacle of two thread sizes, we settled on a concept yesterday that should work for either barrel. So, for the factory tactical Mini-14 with a factory flash hider, the flash hider can be removed, and our Reaper unit put in its place. The finished install will have the total barrel length nearly identical. And, since flash hiders are illegal in CA, but muzzle brakes are not, we can actually offer a solution to CA Mini-14 fans who could not previously consider a purchase of the factory tactical version. I should have a photo up for this new prototype in a few days...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 05-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #7
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We broke out of our mind cramps and came up with a solution...This prototype Mo-Reaper for the factory tactical Mini-14 will fit either of the two thread sizes, and it doesn't add any length to the barrel...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #8

Now that looks nice. You have some nice stuff lots of luck with the new Mo Reaper